My Experience as a First-Generation College Student

So you've made it through your last year of high school -- congratulations! I remember my senior year like it was yesterday...

In the Fall semester of my senior year, I was so pumped to be able to say I was FINALLY a senior! I was so ready for all the fun stuff like Senior Week, our senior prank (which was a bust, btw), my last homecoming, prom, and finally, graduation! I was so caught up in the senior year hype that I low-key ignored how difficult the college application process can be. Because applying to college is easy, right? GIF of man pointing and saying, "You're Wrong." I have never been so wrong in my life. I was ready for all the fun parts of my senior year, but I wasn't prepared for the work that came along with applying to schools, especially as a first-generation college student. I am the first in my family to attend college, so I didn't really have a close relative to confide in and talk about the college application process. Thankfully, I was able to work with the college and career counselors in my community (huge shout out to them!). It was through my counselors that I learned about the Common Application, FAFSA, CSS Profile, etc. I wouldn't be at GW without their love and support.
DJ Khaled GIF saying, "I appreciate you."
#BLESSED
  Okay, I have a confession to make. When I applied to GW, I did not think I was going to get in. I didn't have a lot of the resources, test scores, or connections that many of my current classmates had when applying to schools. Even though the school is diverse, I thought I had to fit the school's "profile" (and after being on campus for a year, I've come to find that no such profile exists). There was no way that a school as well as regarded as the George Washington University would want me, right? Homer Simpson GIF saying, "Oh, I'm wrong again!" I was wrong. Attending GW, I have come to discover that there so many people here that are first-generation college students like myself. We share common struggles and experiences, and it makes me feel like I am not alone in this journey. The university's Center for Student Engagement offers a first-generation program that assists students in their transition from high school to college as well as the next four years. If you're currently on the fence about whether GW is the place you want to spend the next four years, keep in mind that GW is unique. I haven't heard of many schools that have an entire program dedicated to catering to the needs of first-gen students and that's what makes us feel special. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. I can't wait to meet you all in the fall -- until then, #RaiseHigh!

Meet Our Blogger

Picture of first-gen GW student and blogger, Autumn Thompson Autumn Thompson Class of 2021 Business Administration I am a freshman at GW, currently majoring in International Business with a double minor in Political Science and Law & Society. I am a member of the GW Cheer team (Raise High!) via the GW Spirit program, a member of Black Student Union, and GW's Black Women's Forum. I am also serving as a student representative for GW's Bias Incident Reporting System program. I love social justice work and advocacy. After graduation, I plan to pursue a law degree. Favorite #OnlyatGW moment: I love when GW plays the fight song on the bells at 12:15 p.m. every day -- maybe it's the cheerleader in me!