You’ve Applied to College, Now What?

Tips for Waiting for an Admissions Decision

Now, you relax! Take a deep breath. Why? Because you're done. You submitted all of your applications, stressed over tests, planned college visits, and made it halfway through your senior year. Here are my personal top 5 tips for students asking themselves, "now what?" Tip #1: Plan for Spring Semester's Big Events (Prom, Spring Break, Graduation, etc.) You never want to wait until the last minute to plan for anything -- these events are ones you will never forget and will get nostalgic about after you graduate. So plan ahead, take pictures, and have fun! This is the last time you'll be able to truly experience something great with your high school friends and family for awhile. Tip #2: Periodically Check to Make Sure Your Potential School has Everything They Need You may have thought you dotted your i's and crossed your t's, but did you make sure you had a complete sentence and stuck the period at the end? Depending on what schools you applied to, some require more documentation and information than others. So, make sure that you double check to make sure you sent in all of your required documents. Better safe than sorry! Tip #3: Believe In Your Heart that Spring Semester Will Go by Fast Personally, high school didn't go by fast at all. No matter how many times high school grads claimed it did. It just didn't feel like it. Yet, in reality, it did. If you keep a positive attitude, spring semester of your senior year will go by way faster than you think! Tip #4: Thank Your Village You didn't make it on your own, so take this time to thank your family, teachers, and anyone else you relied on during this process. It will make them feel special because you remembered them. Tip #5: Don't Slack! You know the term, "save the best for last?" Well, I'm saving the most important tip for last -- you still have to send in your spring semester grades once you're accepted, so make sure that you still make school your main priority and finish strong! I'm not go giving you advice on something I didn't do myself. If you heed my words, then I assure you, you'll hear back from your desired school in no time.

Meet Our Blogger

Alexes Harris Class of 2020 English and Creative Writing and Journalism and Mass Communication Popularly known as Alexes with an E, I am currently a sophomore and a Posse Scholar at GW. When I'm not writing for you all, I am working towards my life goal of becoming a New York Times bestselling author. While on campus, I am involved in WRGW Radio, National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), and part of the GW Admissions Team. I'm all for promoting positivity. I love music, movies, and riding the Metro around D.C. to different places.