Finding a Niche

Helen Jenkins is getting her groove back. “I’m grateful for this position. I’m trying to get back into the research and alternative medicine field,” Jenkins said of joining HS in February as a contract clinical research coordinator in the Department of Clinical Research and Leadership (CRL). “I feel comfortable contributing my expertise and training … this is right up my alley.” Jenkins is working with Leigh Frame on a pilot study researching the efficacy of a vitamin D patch. “I’m loving it,” she said of the project. Jenkins has 20 years of experience in clinical research but stepped away from her career to care for her mother with dementia. Her last position was at Therabron Therapeutics in Rockville, Maryland, where as a regulatory affairs/clinical research associate she supported clinical trial development and operations for phase I/II respiratory studies and performed quality control audits of clinical data. Jenkins is a single mom who lives in Crystal City, Virginia, with her twin sister. “We’re mirror twins; there’s opposition. I’m looking at someone who looks the same but is opposite. People ask, ‘are you two twins?,’ I say I think so,” she said with a laugh. In her spare time, Jenkins enjoys walks, working out, and making juices, detox drinks, and healthy teas. “I’m in the kitchen a lot. I love to cook – I experiment a lot.” Jenkins has a bachelor’s degree from Shaw University in Raleigh, North Carolina, and a certificate as a holistic nutritionist from Washington (D.C.) Institute of Natural Medicine. She is also a certified holistic health practitioner.