New York part 2

By yassineaourid

This week has been particularly amazing! It started with a basic Monday which I dedicated to studying because I had to take advantage of Fall break and also because I knew that next weekend will be crazy.

The first major event of the week was the show of the best French-Moroccan comedian ever, Gad Elmaleh. When I knew that he was going to perform in DC, I instantly bought the tickets. Thank gad, prices weren't as crazy as The Lion King show on Broadway. I went with a friend who came to Morocco for his exchange semester and we were thrilled by Gad's performance. In all modesty, I think that Moroccan humor has something special: a neat subtlety that makes you laugh for hours. Making fun of French people, telling us his adventures in the US, the all accompanied by a well Moroccan accent: it was perfect!

Gad Elmaleh performing at the Lincoln Theater

The next day, I needed more entertainment and more fun. Therefore, I decided to go to New York for the second time. This time I took the bus, much cheaper and reliable. It wasn't as comfortable as the train but who cares? I arrived in Manhattan at 9:00 p.m. It was raining and I was hungry. In Morocco, if you're outside and you're hungry, your only option is McDonald's so I was worried but then I realized I was in New York...

After a long night, I had my breakfast at Starbucks (the only one that spells my name correctly)

I decided to visit the main places I didn't visit the last time I came. If there is one thing that comes to my mind when I think of NYC, it's definitely the Statue of Liberty. I was surprised by NYC population's diversity. For instance, the agent who sold me the ticket for the ferry to Liberty Island was from Cameroun, thus we got to speak French. Going on that ferry and looking at the wonderful buildings that constitute NYC and the magnificent Brooklyn bridge was an amazing experience. When the boat approached the Statue of Liberty, it was The Moment! Looking at this statue and the torch that welcomed millions of immigrants was particularly stirring.

The next day, I visited one of the largest museums in the world: The National Museum of Natural History. I had some special thoughts to all of my biology and history professors when I visited this museum. I was fascinated by all the exhibitions of that museum. I really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it.

Finally, my trip to New York ended in a movie theater where I saw "Venom" in 3D. It was my first time in an American movie theater and I was amazed by the quality of the seating that makes you enjoy the experience fully.

My second trip to New York was a big success and I can't wait to go back again. Now enjoy this beautiful picture of Brooklyn Bridge and see you next week.