Shamrock Fest and Visiting Friends!

By hannahbethdray

Spring Break was the most incredible week, full of amazing food, great friends and a lot of relaxation! Unfortunately though, I came back home to lots of snow and four papers to write!  For this reason, I was unable to celebrate St Patrick’s Day on Monday. Luckily we were able to celebrate this weekend at Shamrock Fest! Two of my friends Georgina and Tamara from school have come over from the UK to visit for two weeks so were able to join us in green and celebrate! We were packed out in green and luckily the weather was on our side and it was beautiful! Pic 2  The festival was being held at RFK Stadium in South East DC, so after joining other green wearing Americans, Pic3we had arrived! After exploring everything the festival had to offer, including carnival rides and various Irish paraphernalia, we watched a couple of Irish bands to play.Pic4
Georgina and Tamara were suffering a little from time difference jet lag so we went to experience some good American food: Pizza and Funnel Cake!!
Pic6
Pic5
Pic9
Pic10 I also managed to switch my tiara for a flashing one due to my English accent (the perks of being an exchange student). Pic7Pic8 It was a little crazy getting back from the festival as everyone was travelling back at the same time, but we had an amazing day!

Pic11

Today was Tamara and Georgina’s first day of being tourists in DC, so what better way to start than see all the monuments! Overall we walked 5 miles today and my feet are really feeling the effects of this. We saw the Washington Monument, Lincoln and Vietnam among others, and the girls had a really great time
Pic14
Pic15Pic12
Pic16
PIC17
Pic18 although I was at one point being followed by a squirrel who would not leave me alone! Pic13  The day was ended with a trip to Chipotle – I felt I had really earned my food by that point!
What I learnt from today was that having lived in DC for 7 months now, I have really got the hang of the area; I don’t feel as much of a tourist anymore, although I do still sometimes have my moments of getting lost on the metro!