Snow days and away games!

By hannahbethdray

This week has been a little bit odd, as I have only had 1 full day of classes out of 5. I am lucky enough every week to have Fridays off; but, this week I was also graced with a 5-day weekend!

Monday was Martin Luther King Day, a celebrated holiday in the US, similar to one of our bank holidays at home in the UK. So, me and my friend, Christina, decided to use the day wisely and go to the zoo! Picture 1 I had always planned to visit the zoo, but hadn't got round to doing it yet and this was the perfect time, as there was a new baby panda which I was very excited about. The baby panda wasn’t out for long, but we did get to see the mother, who was beautiful and slightly scary – look at those teeth! panda
Picture 3 (1)We also got to see the lions and elephants and I learned that elephants can actually lie down and sleep; something I did not know.Picture 4 (1)It was a great day all round and a perfect way to enjoy DC. The great surprise of the week, however, came from Tuesday which turned out to be a Snow day!!Picture 5 (1) Washington DC isn’t known for getting much snow, but over 6 inches fell in one day; the worst snow in three years. Now, this maybe should have been the day for staying in and catching up on TV, but not for me! Me and my friend, Scott, decided to venture out to the monuments to check out how they looked in the snow; they did not disappoint. Picture 6

The snow was coming down so fast that you couldn’t even see the Washington monument from the Lincoln steps. I also got some cool shots of the squirrels Picture 9 that I was stalking, and a women with a red umbrella – because I thought it was cool! Picture 8 Although we were freezing by the end of the walk, it was totally worth it and something I probably won’t get to see again. Picture 10 The rest of the week was spent dealing with the reality and aftermath of the snow, it was -12c on Wednesday – not a temperature I am used to! Then, all too soon it was the weekend again (it was a strenuous week with 1 day of classes!). My friends and I have been religiously following the GW Basketball team this season so decided to travel up to George Mason University, in Virginia, to watch an away game. Even though it was a 45 minute trip down there (and I swear it was colder than DC!), seeing their stadium was incredible – it was twice the size of ours and seats 11,000 people. Picture 12 They also had a great half time performance from their cheerleaders, which was really cool. Picture 13. Continuing their winning streak, GW finished 75-69 making it 16 wins and 3 losses for the season, which is amazing! Picture 11. All round it has been a pretty perfect week full of a lot of great outings and even a snow angel or two! Picture 14