January 21, 2013: History was made

I am really wearing five layers of clothing!

Dressed in literally five layers of thick winter clothing and managing to wear two different pairs of pants on top of each other, I marched down Pennsylvania Avenue in two degrees Celsius weather (Or what the Americans call 35.5 degrees Fahrenheit). Standing in the chilly weather with the clock striking 5 am, most people would call me crazy, but today I witnessed history in the making.  I could have predicted that I was going to do a study abroad, and I most certainly could have predicted that the world would not end in 2013, but never would I have imagined that I would be one out of a thousand proud citizens watching live the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America: Barack Hussein Obama.

Andrew, our awesome GW leader
Andrew, our awesome GW leader

The whole day seriously felt so surreal. With my bundle of clothing and snack box filled with my favorite candies (and of course cupcakes!), a group of 10 exchange students marched down Pennsylvania Avenue. We were lucky enough to have Andrew, a GW student, lead the way as he took us to a private non-touristic location on the National Mall.

Lounge in the Museum of Modern Arts
Lounge in the Museum of Modern Arts

However from this secret viewing area, no food or drinks where allowed and it was hard to hear the speech. So I opted to leave this luxurious warm lounge, grabbed my American flag and head on out to battle the cold with the rest of the tourists.

Inauguration Flags

Matching GW Beanies
Matching GW Beanies

With a GW beanie, GW pin and an American flag in hand, I was a true Colonial cheering on the President of the United States of America. It was such an amazing feeling standing outside of the National Mall, listening to Mr. President as he pledged his oath in front of the entire world.

[youtube=http://youtu.be/xRx8aCbNYEY]

With citizens chanting “ four more yeas” and people going crazy at the sight of Mr. President, it is with no doubt that people love him!