A brief history of […]me

Hi! I am Narmin Jamalova, graduate student at the ADA-GWU joint Master's in Computer Science & Data Analytics.

I was born and raised in Baku, Azerbaijan. Fun fact about me: As a kid, my sphere of interests encompassed everything dinosaur- and archeology-related: I could name any dinosaur species by just looking at their picture, intensively studied the history of the Ancient World and even got as far as learning how to read ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs in the hope of some day becoming an archeologist. As I grew up, my interests have changed (although I still think archeology is an amazing research ground!).

Within Computer Science, I am very interested in the domains of computer vision and machine learning, and, in particular, on their application to improving energy systems of tomorrow, which will form the core of our lives and help reduce carbon impact. For instance, accurate predictions of renewable power supplies, corrosion identification, optimization of energy consumption and smart solar grids.

As a hobby, I engage in poem- and story-writing (not for publication but mostly for self-reflection).

A brief extract from one of my poems for anyone who might be interested 🙂 :

"Leave some space for me, oh mountains!

I must grow to match your height!

Need to stretch to seize the light,

See into the world you hide ...

Lie and tell me that I'm worth

Of thousand ice caves in the North.

Can I change the pass of time?

Lie that I'm one of a kind.

I know the truth - and I don't mind.

Clutching onto life so dear,

I shall be fooled - I'm a believer.

And each day I shall go on,

Climb an even higher stone.

Till I match your height, oh mountains!

Will I then see all the world?.."