Knapp Fellow, Yesenia Yepez: Familia United

Familia United

To hear Yesenia's presentation click here.

This presentation is submitted by Yesenia Yepez, a 2019-2020 Knapp Fellow. Knapp Fellowship for Entrepreneurial Service-Learning. Knapp Fellows receive up to $10,000 to support their ideas to combine scholarly work with community action. Students, work with a faculty advisor, and one or more community partners, spend one year conducting inquiry and implementing their idea. Note: Applications for the 2020-2021 Knapp Fellows are due May 26, 2020 (see link above).

16 thoughts on “Knapp Fellow, Yesenia Yepez: Familia United

1. Rachel Talbert

This presentation did a great job of highlighting the civic responsibilities that we have as a community to work together, thank you for your research and engagement with the community!

Reply
    1. Yesenia Yepez

Thank you for your time and insight during this journey, Rachel! It has helped me bring awareness of this issue with people who had previously not had an opportunity to reflect on Central American migration.

Reply
  2. aemebte

Presentation is amazing! Love the idea very innovative and definitely will help for the future of immigration

Reply
    1. Yesenia Yepez

Thank you! I appreciate your time and comments. Yes, we are happy to see it assisting migrants already!

Reply
  3. Amy B Cohen

Really nicely done. It is so interesting to learn how the same issues can be dealt with differently in different locations.

Reply
    1. Yesenia Yepez

Thank you Amy! Your guidance during this project was helpful and greatly appreciated! Yes, I believe it is important that we share these stories so people can understand how immigration policy can be implemented diversely and so we can begin to think creatively on how to fill in the gaps through volunteer and nonprofit work.

Reply
  4. Maureen Albero

Great presentation, it is really well organized and put together. The music was a great touch! I was fortunate enough to learn about your project through interviews, but this presentation reinforced what you discussed.

Reply
    1. Yesenia Yepez

Thank you Maureen! I'm glad you enjoyed the presentation! It was fun talking to you and answering your insightful questions during our interviews. Made me think differently about some things and become aware of other issues I could address in the future.

Reply
  5. Shannon Doyle

Beautiful done and thorough presentation! In particular, I enjoyed your reflections on the differing outcomes between the two locations. You have clearly learned a lot from your work, and left a lasting impact on your community.

Reply
    1. Yesenia Yepez

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed the reflections! I have learned a lot and am grateful for the opportunity to share these lessons with others such as yourself 🙂

Reply
  6. wagnerw

This is so informative. It's a great reminder of how important it is to understand the nuances and complexities that you have pointed out when we are involved in service/social change.

Reply
    1. Yesenia Yepez

Thank you Wendy! Yes, it is very important. Hopefully by informing others about these complexities, I can make more people aware and active in shaping comprehensive immigration policy.

Reply
  7. nneka

Excellent job! This was extremley informative and well put together. Your attention to details are reflected in your innovative approach to creating social change.

Reply
    1. Yesenia Yepez

Thank you! I'm happy to hear it was informative and well put together! Took some time but excited to share this cause and my findings with others!

Reply
  8. Zaniya

I loved your presentation and your innovative approach! Congratulations on winning the Knapp Fellowship!

Reply
  9. Zaniya

I loved your presentation and your innovative project. Congratulations on winning the Knapp Fellowship!

Reply