Seeing the Benefits of an International Education

By Tess Peterson, GWU undergraduate student (SMPA 2021)

As a student in Washington, D.C., I knew the norm was to have an internship early in my college career. But I have had several!  In fact, I’ve held three different positions, including the latest as Government Affairs Intern at the Fulbright Association.

The Fulbright Association is the official alumni association of the State Department’s prestigious Fulbright program, which takes scholars of all ages on overseas exchanges to study, learn, and grow. I had heard of study abroad programs and other exchange programs before, but none of the alumni of these various programs expressed the same pride that Fulbright alumni do.

In corresponding with members of the Fulbright Association, I found that they were always willing to share their experiences and memories with me. They include their Fulbright overseas location and year of their grant in all of their email signatures and mention it on every phone call I have. At networking events, they wear it proudly on their name tag and introduce themselves with their Fulbright study location, rather than where they are from in the U.S..

Fulbright means so much to them that they volunteer to drive miles to advocate for this program. At our office, we have planned several Advocacy Days, where former Fulbrighters travel to Washington, D.C., to meet with elected officials to share their stories. For most of the members of the Fulbright Association, the experiences and lessons that shaped them matter so much that they now consider being a Fulbright scholar a major part of who they are. I had never seen individuals become such passionate alumni for an organization they were a part of so long ago.

Their passion speaks volumes about the overall impact of international education programs. Through these programs an individual can learn a new language, discover a new religion, meet amazing new people, understand better the issues of other countries, learn a lot about global politics, and do so much more. The Institute for International Education of Students (IES) recently ran a survey that looks at the impact of studying abroad as an undergraduate student on a student’s life after graduation. An overwhelming number of students returning from time studying or working abroad reported feeling more mature (95%). Likewise, 48% of students stated that they have worked internationally or participated in new volunteer activities since studying abroad. Additionally, 94% stated that the overseas experience continues to influence their interactions with people today. It is clear that educational exchanges do not end when you leave your host country, but have a lasting impact on your education, your career, and your long-term personal development.

Personal stories experienced by the individuals on an exchange are not the only benefit of an international education program. According to the Erasmus Impact Study, 64% of all employers think international experience is important for hiring. In fact, graduates of the Erasmus program had an unemployment rate 23% lower than that of those who did not study abroad.

The number of the students who are studying abroad is growing at a rapid rate. The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has predicted that that, with current demographic changes, the international student population is likely to reach 8 million by 2025. These students come from a variety of different areas of studies and majors. According to Statista, 29% of students who go abroad study STEM, 25% study business, 24% study social sciences and 32% study other topics. With a variety of different programs, every student from every field of study has the chance to learn more while abroad.

Working at the Fulbright Association I saw these statistics come to life. I saw our alumni getting job promotions, beginning graduate studies at prestigious universities, and connecting with each other over their shared ideals. This helped solidify my decision to study abroad next year. By working with people like these, I have already become more aware, more educated, and more inspired. I can only hope my semester abroad will have the same impact that I have felt so far, just being around the members of the Fulbright Association.