Finding Community at GW

Check out the following discourse about finding community, even in this virtual semester.

Like many incoming first year students, I struggled a lot in finding community within GW. My first year I shopped around with student organizations, met loads of fellow students, and became incredibly close with my roommates. But ultimately I was craving a deeper community to call home at GW. So, I joined an Alternative Greek fraternity in the second semester. Finally, I had found a group of like-minded people who could support me in my academic goals as well as become my group on campus! And while I still love my fraternity and am so glad I found it, I’ve changed a lot since then. My goals, identities, and needs have changed. The best thing about that organization is that the community I’ve built can grow with me.

A piece of advice my peer advisor gave me in the first semester of college is that your student organizations, academic groups, or community in your first-year dorm don’t have to be your best friends. While these spaces can bring about great friendships and community support, do not feel discouraged if you don’t initially find your place. For first-years out there, shop around with some student organizations! There are plenty looking to welcome new members when remote and there is truly a space for everyone. (There are 555 organizations registered on GW Engage !) Try to find a group that supports you in whatever your educational goals and values are. But, remember that this doesn’t have to be your one home on campus.

I’m now a senior and am still meeting new faces (socially distanced, of course) and finding my space in college. And while I’m still incredibly close with my roommates from first year (<3), many of my closest supporters now were met later in college. Ultimately, your community can come from many spaces. This doesn’t have to be one organization, one group of friends, or even the UHP. And while many people find their community outside of even student organizations, it’s a great place to start looking.