The Extra-Curricular: Intervarsity Christian Fellowship

a77_church1 Hello Honors lovelies! My name is Michaela Stanch and this week in Honors Adventures in Student Orgs I will be highlighting an organization that I love, GWU’s chapter of Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, or IVCF. To explain this fantastic beast and where to find it, I’ll break the name down:
First word: Intervarsity. Unlike what many people (including myself) first think, does not mean something about sports. IVCF started in England where “varsity” means university. Intervarsity means between two or more universities. The founders of IVCF wanted to create an organization that spanned across universities and across churches. IVCF is a non-denominational organization, we love everyone from all kinds of spiritual and philosophical backgrounds.
Second word: Christian. This means something or someone relating to or professing Christianity and/or its teachings. You do not have to profess Christianity to become involved with IVCF. We are a group of students who focus on a deeper understanding of Christ and his teachings. In our many events we don’t seek to validate our own opinions or actions by scripture; instead, we focus on how the scriptures, God, and Christ can transform ourselves.
Third word: Fellowship. At our core, IVCF is about the relationships we build. We love to bond, have fun, and grow with each other. In less than a year of being a part of IVCF I have gone to ridiculously competitive game nights, been serenaded for Valentine’s Day, wandered through all of DC and shared delicious food with some of the greatest people I have ever met. Throughout the Bible it is stated that the greatest commandment is to love each other, and I see this commandment every day through my brothers and sisters in Christ in Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.
If you’re interested in Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, please email gw.ivcf@gmail.com or like our Facebook page!