The Himmelfarb Library will open on Monday, June 15 to patrons that have been approved to be on campus during phase 1 of reopening and to students currently enrolled in classes or on clinical rotations. Our summer hours (subject to change) are:
Mondays – Thursdays: 8am – 8pm
Fridays: 8am – 6pm
Saturday – Sunday: 12n – 8pm
We are implementing a number of safety measures to promote social distancing and safeguard your health.
- Users are required to wear a mask at all times inside the library.
- Enter Himmelfarb Library via the Courtyard.
- Exit Himmelfarb Library via the security gate.
- Directional signs will be posted throughout the library to indicate proper distancing and traffic flow.
- Only one person at a time may use the elevator; priority goes to handicapped users.
- Our stairwells will be one-directional:
- To go up, use the stairwell on the Courtyard side of the building next to the elevator.
- To go down, use the stairs on the 23rd Street side of the Library.
Using study spaces
- We have arranged study tables and chairs in a way that ensures 6 ft. of space between users. Floor decals will be used as markers for each and every approved seat to make sure that the patrons are social distancing
- Please do not move furniture.
- Keep chairs stationed over their floor decals.
- All study rooms at Himmelfarb Library MUST be reserved in advance on our web page. (https://himmelfarb.gwu.edu/services/groupstudy.cfm)
- Only 1 user is permitted in a study room at a time, except in the following rooms:
- 2 users are permitted in: B100B, B100A, 201, 203G, 204H, 203C, 204C, 304I, 304C, and 305H.
- 4 users are permitted in: 303.
- Please limit the amount of food and drink you bring into the library.
- Please clean up your space before you leave.
- Hand sanitizer and wipes will be available throughout Himmelfarb.
Handling library materials
- If you pull a book off the shelf that you don’t plan to check out, please return it to a shelving cart.
- Library staff will quarantine all books on carts for 3 days after usage.
- Library staff will quarantine all borrowed books for 3 days upon check-in.
- Borrowed equipment will be cleaned upon return and prior to checkout.
- Restrooms will have a one-person occupancy limit.
- Please announce yourself before entering to make sure the restroom is unoccupied.
There will be a way to open the door without using your hands: a kick plate to enter, and a “foot puller” to open the door from the inside.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. You may text a librarian at 202-601-3525, or send an email to: email@example.com. You may also contact the Circulation Desk at 202-994-2962.