Discovering Copenhagen: Balancing Work, Study, and Play

By Lara Zeitoun (PMBA)

Featured above: site visit to Impact Roasters

As a 30-year-old MBA student juggling a full-time job and part-time studies, deciding to join the short-term study abroad program at Copenhagen Business School was a leap into the unknown. This was my first experience studying abroad, something I missed out on during my undergraduate years, and I wanted to make the most of it. The program’s focus on Social Entrepreneurship and Business Model Innovation seemed like the perfect match for my career goals and personal interests.

Preparing for the trip involved more than just packing a suitcase; it required careful planning to ensure I could balance my work responsibilities with the academic and cultural experiences that awaited me in Denmark. I found myself excited about exploring Copenhagen’s rich history, its famous bageris, and, of course, tasting the renowned cardamom buns that everyone raves about. My hope was to return from this journey with fresh insights and a renewed passion for my professional and personal life.

Featured in right image : STAP students in Copenhagen

At first, I was nervous about working and from Copenhagen and attempting to balance that with my responsibilities as a student. I knew the course I was taking was intensive and I didn’t want to let my groupmates and myself down by not committing to the academics of the program. I prepared as much as I could by doing the prereading and meeting classmates virtually to discuss the work and our expectations of the coursework.

Stepping off the plane in Copenhagen, I was immediately struck by the city’s unique blend of old-world charm and modern efficiency. My daily routine quickly settled into a rhythm: attending my intensive Social Entrepreneurship class at 1 pm, which challenged me intellectually, followed by hours of catching up on work in the evenings. The course itself was very intensive. We met four days a week for regular class time from 1:30 – 4:00pm and site visits were add-ons. Class was split up into two parts: lecture and group work.

The Social Entrepreneurship course was everything I hoped it would be—engaging, challenging, and relevant to my career aspirations. The professor even planned site visits where we would go out in the city and meet entrepreneurs that are making a difference with their businesses. My favorite site visit was to Impact Roasters, a coffee shop importing and serving fair trade coffee from Ethiopia. We got to meet the founder and listen as he shared the challenges he’s faced importing fair trade coffee to Denmark and running a sustainable operation. I loved that the founder was able to make a life for himself and his family by elevating his Ethiopian roots and community in another country.

During the lecture portion of class, the professor often brought in guest speakers. My favorite class was when the guest speaker talked about his research around the Anthropocene, a term used to describe the geological epoch we are in that is characterized by the deep impact humans are having on the earth. It was a bleak session, but I thought it was engaging and contemplated questions I have had for some time about the world we are shaping for our future.

During the group work portion of the class, we worked on our group projects. My group chose the social and environmental problem of Styrofoam packaging in the Icelandic fishing industry. Our business model centered around mycelium technology to mimic the benefits of Styrofoam without the environmental hazards. This exercise challenged me to learn and apply social enterprise structures and concepts to a real-world problem and taught me that design thinking can be applied to a myriad of other social and business problems. This experience will help me as I pursue a career in corporate strategy and CSR and I am faced with complex business scenarios.

Visit to Louisiana Museum

Outside of the classroom, one of my most memorable experiences was visiting the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art. The journey there was a treat in itself—a scenic train ride through the Danish countryside, followed by a peaceful walk through the quaint neighborhoods. I was fascinated by the unique local custom of placing clothing racks outside homes for passersby to purchase secondhand items. The museum, nestled by the sea, was a serene escape from the city’s hustle and bustle. After exploring the exhibits, I even braved a cold Scandinavian swim, which left me feeling both invigorated and connected to the local culture in a way I hadn’t anticipated.

Featured on image on right: students having a Scandinavian swim

Featured on left image: Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

Copenhagen itself was a city of endless discovery. From a full day spent at Tivoli Gardens—riding the rides, eating candy, and making new friends—to attending a Chaka Khan concert on my last night, the city never ceased to amaze me. I’m leaving Denmark not only with new knowledge and skills but with a deeper appreciation for the balance between work, life, and the joy of exploration. This experience has changed the way I see the world, and I know it will continue to influence my personal and professional journey in the years to come.