Same Place, Different Person

By: Camila Batres

May 5, 2023

Preparing for my upcoming trip to Dubai has reminded me of my last visit there six years ago. At that time I was fresh out of high school and unaware of the country’s cultural nuances. I'm eager to return as a business student and make the most of the city's learning opportunities. I plan to immerse myself in the culture, network with local professionals, and gain new insights to enhance my understanding of international business.

I am grateful to have an opportunity to travel with my classmates who have become like a second family to me. I look forward to sharing this adventure with them and creating unforgettable memories. I'm also a little nervous about navigating a new business environment in a new country. Nevertheless, I'm confident I'll take on the challenges and make the most of this fantastic opportunity.

My team’s work with our Industry Partner Visa has been a fascinating journey so far. Our project focuses on helping Visa promote circular economy practices such as buying and selling secondhand goods worldwide. This project presents exciting opportunities for sustainable growth. 

Initially, we narrowed the scope of the problem but our partner advised us to think more creatively. After stepping back and contemplating the bigger picture, we analyzed the UAE population and identified how most blue-collar workers could benefit from recommerce practices. Our partner has been impressed by how we took their suggestions and reinvented our way of thinking. Witnessing the evolution of our partnership with Visa over the semester has been truly remarkable.

So far CAP has been an incredible learning opportunity for me as a business student. I'm grateful for the chance to work with Visa and my team and I'm excited to see where this journey takes us. I plan to continue learning and growing with my classmates and partner once we get to Dubai!