CAP Pre-Travel to Germany!

By: Sophie Titlebaum

For the CAP program through GWSB, I will travel to Berlin, Germany to complete a project for a software development company, Globant. Globant provides IT consulting services to a wide range of companies. My team consists of four GMBA students, in which we are aiming to help Globant expand its offerings in Europe, with Germany as its current area of focus. We have suggested expansion into the Electric Vehicle space and are helping to provide a concrete solution, implementation tactics, and risks to consider. 

To prepare for my time away, I have been sure to spend time with my loved ones. My boyfriend and I took a trip to see his family in Maryland and then went to see my family in Philadelphia. This was important to me, as I know that the upcoming summer will be very busy with lots of commitments. This was a great way to relax and reset. Additionally, I’ve been giving my cat, Macho, cuddles so he doesn’t miss me too much!

I am most excited about gaining real-life work experience in another country. I’ve studied in and traveled to other countries, but working with a client will be a whole new experience. I see myself living in Europe one day, so this will be a great opportunity to dip my toes in the water. I am most nervous about the final presentation. While I know it will be our time to shine, it will be my first time presenting to a European audience. It will be good to learn if presentation practices are the same in Europe, as well as new ways to present and capture the audience’s attention.

Throughout the semester, my work with the team and partner has been great. We have all had the opportunity to learn new ways of working and new ways of thinking. One challenge has been the fact that the business problem is pretty broad, so we have struggled to hone down on a very specific element with tangible action items. I hope that once we are in Germany, there will be even more fruitful conversations so that we can add as much value as possible!

Overall, this has been a great journey so far. I look forward to the in-country portion and know there will be many adventures, lessons, and memories!

Off We Go!

Now that the Silver Line goes all the way to Dulles, I decided to use this to get to the airport. My boyfriend took the metro with me, and we said our goodbyes! I am excited about the journey ahead! I will be on the same plane as a few classmates.

While Macho may look angry, this is his normal face (he was actually purring when I captured this photo). He is sad that I am leaving, but he will be under good care! For all we know, maybe he’s a German cat, and so he will feel more bonded to me once I’m back. 🙂

Prepping for the Trip!

Our CAP Professor, Dr. Messerli, provided each of us with this helpful guide. It’s been a great resource to learn more about the culture and country, while also getting excited about the trip! I’ll be finishing this on the plane.