Consulting Abroad Program: Creating a Culture of Resiliency

How do you hold yourself accountable? I write checklists and receive unfounded joy when checking a box off. I rely on systems to monitor and prioritize tasks whereas for others, it’s more passive and all about consistent routines and creating the right setting. But as memes about day pajamas and night pajamas or wearing blankets as pants circle the web, adjusting to the demands of 2020’s WFH lifestyle requires professionalism and self-discipline against distressing news. Finding the silver lining takes effort as we navigate a bizarre semester that puts our self-accountability to the test. 

After two months into the stay-at-home order, I’ve been impressed by the speed at which colleagues and faculty have adapted to new technologies. As a Graduate Assistant for the Global MBA’s signature Consulting Abroad Project course, our student teams did not miss a beat working with clients in Germany, Singapore, and South Africa. Our clients may be scattered across the globe but their dedication as a Global Partner never wavered. The in-country travel was suspended yet rather than wallow in disappointment, our teams continued to refine their recommendations in the wake of the pandemic. With many online communication trainings available, our teams have had to keep their heads up and embrace the challenges required by virtual presentations. 

The shift to all online meetings has created the expectation for all of us to be comfortable on a multitude of online platforms. Student rehearsal presentations were judged externally and provided students with best practices for online presenting: lighting, centering your face on the screen, smiling and projecting enthusiasm posed challenges different than those of presenting to a room. In group meetings, small talk and mic sharing play more critical roles in maintaining relationships when separated by physical distance. While some may prefer one mode over another, the experience is growing an important skill set that might have otherwise gone unnurtured. This experience forces everyone to adapt and keep their heads up. 

A GW professor lent me Angela Duckworth’s book, Grit, last semester who writes, “One form of perseverance is the daily discipline of trying to do things better than we did yesterday.” We hold ourselves accountable to keep persevering and must honor the learning required by distanced relationships and virtual communication. Across my networks at GW, friends, colleagues and advisors help keep me accountable and satisfied. We share a collective accountability through frequent communication and scheduled FaceTime happy hours. 

I am fortunate to be healthy and surrounded by friends and colleagues that maintain positivity and grit in this unprecedented challenge. As we all prepare to enter the global job market, our accountability is being put to the test and growing our virtual communication skills is important. Aim to do better than the day before and you might find yourself motivated to persevere. Now that I’ve written this, I can check another item off my list.  

Drew Otto is a ‘20 Global MBA Candidate at The George Washington University School of Business.