So You’re Going to Grenoble, France

Written by Matthew Rodgers, MS. International Business '21

When applying to the George Washington University Short Term Study Away Programs (STAP), this technology management program in France stuck out from the other programs for a number of reasons. First, the prestige of the Grenoble School of Management (GEM) was a huge factor. The school is well ranked within France and within all of Europe. To be given the opportunity to study at the university is incredible. Second, the program offered a unique mix of classroom learning, site visits with global companies operating from Grenoble, and outside activities such as the day trip to going skiing in the French Alps. The content of the classroom sessions is also intriguing. I’m excited to see what the Serious Games program entails, as well as to receive the Serious Games Certification upon completion of the program. The eYeka case that’s been assigned provided a little insight into what to expect and has left me eager to learn more about technology companies operating from Europe. Third, I’ve only briefly traveled through France before and have never had the opportunity to immerse myself in French culture. The dinners and wine tastings that have been arranged for students are fun additional experiences that I’m looking forward to. I currently know next to nothing about wine, so to learn more about wine while in a country with a global reputation for wines is something completely new to me.

Looking back on my time in college, my biggest regret is not taking advantage of the opportunity to study abroad. This opportunity to travel to France is an experience that I’ve been looking forward to for years. Aside from the goals mentioned above, there are several other general experiences that I hope to take away from this program. I want to experience first-hand what it’s like to study in a foreign country. I’m enthusiastic about meeting other students both from GW and from other universities. I hope to get to know city of Grenoble and all that is has to offer. In particular, I plan on eating as much French food as possible. Most of all, I simply hope to learn and grow while studying at the Grenoble School of Management.

I’m grateful that GW offers these shorter study abroad programs. This 10 day trip fits perfectly with my schedule. As someone who works full-time and attends GW as a part time student, it’s unlikely that I’d be able to study abroad were it not for the STAP programs.