Market News with Rodney Lake: Semiconductors

Market News with Rodney Lake is a regular program of the GW Investment Institute to discuss market news and key investing concepts.

For the first show of 2022, I focused on the semiconductor industry. Semiconductors are essential for many products, such as: computers, phones, gaming consoles, medical equipment, cars etc. and therefore their demand skyrocketed during the COVID-19 pandemic. There were a record number of semiconductors sold in 2021, but they also faced supply chain issues and there was an increase in their cost partly due to these issues and also the increasing rate of inflation. 

After talking about the economy through the lens of semiconductors, I shared some information about the countries dominating the semiconductor industry. I then discussed company specific news specifically around consolidation in the semiconductor industry and companies trying to increase their manufacturing capacity in the United States and ended the show with Q&A. 

Below you can watch a replay, or listen to the podcast.

I hope that you enjoyed the show. If you have any feedback or ideas for future shows, please let me know by writing invest@gwu.edu.

Best regards,

Rodney