MTA Student Nuo Li Shares Her Reflections on the Coronavirus

Nuo Li, an international student from Beijing, China, is earning her Masters degree in Sustainable Tourism Management at GW. While a number of international students have returned home since the coronavirus pandemic closed the university, Nuo opted to stay in the States for a number of reasons. She's not only concerned about  visa restrictions but the fact that studying online is tricky in China. “Most importantly, I believe staying where I am now is the safest choice. I live in a friendly community here in DC, and I’ve received tons of care and support from professors and classmates …I’ve never felt alone or left out. I’m also blessed to have one cherry blossom tree growing right outside my window to bring me a sense of spring and hope.” Given Nuo’s unique perspective, we invited her to submit the following blog:

In early January, a few days after returning to Washington DC from China, where I spent the winter break, I first heard about the coronavirus. In the beginning, people seemed somewhat curious and confused. But when the government issued a shelter at home order just before the start of the week-long Chinese Spring Festival, which was scheduled to start on January 24, I realized the virus was quite serious. Nothing before had ever stopped us from celebrating the most important festival in China.

I video chatted with my parents during those early days, just to make sure they were well-prepared. Fortunately, both of them understood the situation and were taking good care of themselves.

At about the same time, I heard the news of the first few cases in Washington State. At that point, my family and friends in China started to worry about me and offered advice, based on their experience. One friend suggested, jokingly, that I: “Buy some potatoes as you can grow them in an emergency.”

I read the news every day, in both Chinese and English and prepared to stay at home, by stocking up on essentials along with carrots, celery, and sweet potatoes for my two guinea pigs and a Nintendo Switch for my own exercise. I even packed a small suitcase with IDs and basic clothes, just in case of emergency. At that point, while most people around me seemed less concerned, I skipped a midterm exam before the campus had officially closed. Having grown up in China, where we had already dealt with disasters including SARS, I was prepared from the beginning.

As a tourism student, I’ve been paying close attention to how businesses can remain resilient and creative during this global pandemic. For example, the hotel in my neighborhood has started to provide take-out meals for local residents. Not only are they providing a service for the community, but they’re finding a way to generate income and stay relevant.

I also came across this piece, How Chinese Tourism Operators Survive In The Crisis. While the article is written in Chinese, it basically describes how Chinese tour operators are finding creative ways to survive during the crisis, including selling and delivering fresh local produce from various destinations to people quarantined at home. For example, they’re sourcing bamboo from Fujian, rice from the North East, millet from Shanxi, and mango from Hainan. The point is that these businesses are staying nimble by staying relevant and figuring out new ways of supplying demand.

In Chinese, the word “opportunity” literally translates into “threat-opportunity”. I believe everything that comes with a threat, comes with an opportunity as well. And for now, staying apart is to stay united.