Things to Keep in Mind When Studying Abroad in Australia

By Zachary Brumback

With the semester coming to an end, I have successfully completed two of my four classes. Unlike my experience with classes at GW, USYD offers several classes consisting of only written assessments. As a result, I only have two exams this semester- International Organisations and Media Politics and Political Communication. Here at USYD, all students receive a week off from school to study for their upcoming finals. This break is known as STUVAC, which is an acronym for “Study Vacation.” My first final, International Organisations, is this coming Friday. My last final, Media Politics and Political Communication, is on Thursday, November 22nd.

As I prepare for my two finals, I thought it was most appropriate to blog about how Australia’s grading scale differs from the United States. Unlike the A-F scale, Australia uses HD-F. A High Distinction (HD) is a “mark” between an 85-100. A Distinction is a 75-84. A Credit is a 65-74, and a Pass is a 50-64. Although it seems that receiving a High Distinction would be fairly easy to obtain, I can confirm that it is not. For instance a HD converts to an A+ at GW. With that said a Distinction converts to an A, a Credit to a B, and a Pass to a C.

After turning in my first assignment, I was discouraged when I did not receive a HD. According to the Government Department at USYD, a student will only receive a 90 or higher if their assessment is deemed publishable in an academic journal. Therefore, a student is doing well if they receive Credits or Distinctions (a 65-84) on their assignments. Speaking from experience, it takes a while to get used to the “harsh” grading system.  So far I have only received three HDs on my assignments.

Also, when registering for classes in Australia it is important to remember that the number of credit hours differ from GW. Currently, I am taking 24 Australian Credits. When transfering my credits back to GW, this will count as 16 credit hours. In addition, it is important to remember that during your time abroad you are on a Pass/Fail grading scale. Therefore, students must receive a 50 or higher in all of their classes to receive credit. Also, prior to studying abroad and registering for classes, students should obtain course approvals from GW using the CATS system.

Since students are on a Pass/Fail scale, the grades received abroad do not factor into your GPA at GW. Due to this, I decided not to take electives while abroad. Instead, I registered for classes that are required for my degree that I deemed to be the hardest. As a result, I was under less pressure and could enjoy other elements of studying abroad. However, due to the academic rigor, I was unable to check-off everything on my Australian bucket list.  Although I was unable to check-off everything, I have had a wonderful time in Australia and have had a number of unforgettable adventures. Speaking of adventures, my next blog will consist of my most recent journeys around Sydney.

With an exam in less than four days I have to get back to studying. Till next time.