Visiting Amsterdam!

By Beatrice Mount

When I let my friends know that I was studying abroad in the Netherlands, their first response was, “Oh my god! Amsterdam will be so fun!” I didn’t know how to tell them that I was actually about a 3 hour bus ride south, closer to Brussels and Cologne than the Amsterdam canals. However, they were right! Amsterdam is extremely fun! While I’m no Amsterdam local, I’ve spent a few nights there, and I’ve gotten a pretty comprehensive list of to-go places if you’re a tourist on a budget.

1. Get pancakes @Happy Pig Pancake shop
    Dutch Pancakes may not be your mom’s fluffy Bisquick pancakes, but don’t be fooled. What these flat flapjacks lack in baking powder they make up for in flavour. At Happy Pig, which is a short walk from the Centraal Station, you can get a fresh, customizable rolled pancake for around 10 euros. You can choose from a plethora of toppings, going sweet with Nutella, whipped cream, strawberries, almonds—or going savory with cheese, ham, and some cilantro-style sauce. Happy Pig also has vegan pancakes, which is great if you’re climate conscious, or if you’re lactose intolerant like me.
  2. Get fries @Vlaam’s Fritehaus Vleminckx or Manneken Pis.
    Who owns the title of best fritehaus in Amsterdam is a contentious subject. But my two favorite fry shops in Amsterdam are Vlaam’s, which has a cult following, and Manneken Pis, which is right near Centraal Station. The stereotypical Dutch fry is covered in Mayonnaise, but before you’re grossed out—just know that it’s nothing like American mayo. Dutch Mayo is much sweeter, and it is the PERFECT compliment to fries. I like to get mine with curry ketchup or pinderkaas (or curry-flavoured ketchup and peanut sauce) plus Mayonnaise. Whatever you decide on, be prepared. Fries here are a meal, not a snack. While there are small portions available, expect a medium cone full of fries to fill you up for a solid hour.
  3. The Rijksmuseum
    Much like DC, Amsterdam is a very tourist-focused city. While the stereotype is that the city is a haven for drugs, in reality, Amsterdam is an amazing cultural centre with some of the best museums in the world. One of these museums is the Rijksmusuem, which goes over Dutch art and culture from the medieval to modern era. These include everything from Rembrandt’s famous “Night Watch” to reconstructions of model ships! It’s easy to get lost in the large expanse of the museum, so plan on going early to fully take in the intricate art and history.
  4. The Van Gogh Museum
    Five minutes down from the Rijksmuseum is one of the coolest museums in Amsterdam, the Van Gogh Museum! The Van Gogh Museum has tons of classic Van Gogh portraits, and if you’re lucky enough to visit within the next year, you’ll also get to go through an interactive exhibit about Van Gogh’s early life. Van Gogh Dreams lets you explore what the famous artist saw and felt during his time in Paris; it is a full sensory experience, and even reconstructs Van Gogh’s famous room! Book your tickets early, though. The museum is incredibly popular, and unless you have a Museumkaart or Amsterdam City Card, it can be hard to get walk-up tickets.
  5. Foodhallen
    Amsterdam is one expensive city, no lie, but you can find some pretty delicious, cheap eats if you know where to look. Foodhallen is one place with many! Amsterdam has a few of these around the city, but so far Foodhallen is my favorite. They have everything from bao to smoothies to burritos. It’s a close walk from the RIjks and Van Gogh Museums, and dishes range from 2-10 euros.