Sunday Funday

By Zachary Brumback

After a few days of adapting to the new time zone, my newly acquired friends and I decided to begin exploring Australia. Before we could begin to travel long distances, we had to learn how to use Sydney’s public transportation system. As a student familiar with DC’s Metro, this was not a difficult task. Although the system resembled DC’s Metro, the fares are significantly cheaper and include bus, train, and ferry rides. If you are an exchange student in Australia, you are eligible to receive a concession Opal card that reduces the cost of travel in half. Also, the max anyone pays to travel on Sundays is $2 AUD. Therefore, it is economical to travel long distances and explore all that Australia has to offer every Sunday.

First on our Sunday travel list was the Blue Mountains National Park: home to scenic walking trails, waterfalls, exotic wildlife, and the “Three Sisters.” When Sunday arrived, the other exchange students and I made our way to the nearest train station. After arriving at our designated platform, we boarded the train towards the Blue Mountains and embarked on a two-hour scenic train ride. Once we arrived at Katoomba Station, we enjoyed a nice lunch at Subway and then strolled through the small town of Katoomba. Upon our arrival to the Blue Mountains, we were exposed to the breathtaking views of the blue-hazed valleys. Our trip consisted of hiking 16 kilometers (10 miles), taking hundreds of photos, and climbing approximately 20,000 steps. As the sun began to set, we quickly made our way back to Katoomba Station and embarked on our two-hour journey home. I could not believe that the trip there and back only cost $1.50 USD.

On the following Sunday, a few of the other exchange students and I took the bus to Coogee Beach. Since it is winter here, it is way too cold to wear a “Budgy Smuggler” (bathing suit) or swim in the ocean. As a result, my friends and I decided to walk to Bondi Beach via “Sydney’s Best Coastal Walk.” Along the walking path, are breathtaking views of Sydney’s beaches, bays, and cliffs. The walk takes approximately an hour and a half. Make sure to bring some friends, your camera, and sunscreen.

This past Sunday, my friends and I traveled to the Taronga Zoo. Our journey began as we caught a bus and headed to the end of the M30 transit line. While riding the bus, my friends asked if I had already purchased a ticket for the zoo. Prior to this moment, I was under the impression that our admission was free. I somehow managed to forget that unlike the Smithsonian’s National Zoo, most zoo’s charge for admittance. Once we arrived at our stop, we quickly made it to the zoo’s entrance and presented our tickets. As a student attending a local university, I was able to purchase a “Concession Ticket” and saved $10 AUD. At the zoo, I was able to see a multitude of species up close, while also being granted the opportunity to pet an anaconda and attend a choreographed bird show. In addition to the remarkable species, the Taronga Zoo offers a beautiful view of the Sydney Harbor. After a fun and eventful day, my friends and I took the “Sky Safari” (cable car) to reach the zoo’s exit and followed the signs to the ferry station. As you can see from the picture, the ferry ride provides a fantastic scenic view of the city.