A Constantly Developing Identity

By Fatima Zahra Kassidi

Growing up, my identity had always been an aspect of my person and character that was continuously challenged. However as of now, I am a strongly affirmed, 20 years old, muslim female and international Moroccan student, that worked hard to secure a position at a prestigious US university. I was born and raised in a Arab country that has a strong post-colonial culture, as French is still a commonly spoken language and an important portion of the Moroccan youth is still attending a French pedagogical system and are sent out to study in France after High School. In this way, when I am asked what my native language is, I seem to find myself struggle finding the adequate answer—I consider both French and Arabic to be my native languages but people usually expect you to only identify with one. Furthermore, Morocco is composed of a great amount of Berbers in addition of Arabs, my father being a Berber and my mother an Arab. Thus, the simple fact of being my parents’ daughter is already a great source of rich ancestral history to identify with.

Throughout my childhood, I never identified myself with any particular aspect of my culture. Indeed, I wasn’t much of a Moroccan traditional food, music or even clothing lover, I didn’t realize how beautiful and unique they all were until I moved to the US for my undergraduate studies. I would say leaving your country is the most relevant trigger to awaken your love for it. Although I enjoy being fully immersed here, in the US, it is still natural to feel homesick and start looking for places that remind you of your home identity. Moroccan restaurants were my go to in case of identity crisis but also calling my best friends or parents, just to be able to speak and hear some Arabic and/or French. The beauty of leaving the place you grew up in, dreaming of finally becoming the independent self you always wanted to be, is the realization of what you are leaving behind.

All of this is true, an important part of my identity is based on my Moroccan identity, but it is not limited to that. The other part of my identity, is being a global citizen, always looking for new experiences to further understand who I am and who I want to be. Coming to study in the US is the first thing I did towards that direction and I wouldn’t have it any other way. My American experience is also a part of my identity and I wouldn’t be the person I am today without it. Moreover, to fulfill my aim at integrating my global citizenship to my identity, I try to have as much international experiences as I possibly can, which is why I was extremely excited to intern in Geneva, Switzerland, last summer. This internship gave me the opportunity to travel and let myself flourish in all kinds of environments and cultures, I was able to visit Switzerland, France, Belgium, Monaco, Croatia and the Netherlands, all in only 2 amazing months. I’m extremely grateful for all the learning opportunities life threw at me during that summer and it encouraged me even more to continue on expanding my horizons but this time I flew East. Asia is such a mysterious and grand continent that I am just starting to discover. I’m hoping this study abroad opportunity in Singapore will help me incorporate a whole new dimension to my identity. Indeed it has been a little over a month that I first step foot in this part of the world and I already feel all the different array of cultures and the incredible environment impacting me in a way that makes me so much more grateful about where life has led me this far and how it has shaped me as a person.