!مرحبا، السلام عليكم، اهلاً وسهلاً

By Joy Kayode

مرحبا، السلام عليكم، اهلاً وسهلاً!

Hello, peace be upon you and welcome! These are three widespread and standard greetings in the Arabic language. These, along with “my name is…”, were the first Arabic phrases I learned when I began studying the language over two years ago. I am currently enrolled in a study abroad program with the School for International Learning (SIT). The name of my program is called SIT Jordan: Geopolitics, International Relations, and the Future of the Middle East. The primary focus of this program is for those enrolled to learn about the Middle East’s politics, shifting power configurations, and efforts to promote peace and global security from Jordan, a peace broker in the region. The program-led extracurricular activities are tailored to accompany the efforts within the classroom. This semester, the program accepted 30 students from universities across the United States.

There are four core components that make this program unique to SIT and particularly appealing to students of all academic backgrounds. It was these very components that constituted my decision to study abroad in Amman. The courses in the program couldn’t be a better fit for my specific course of study. I am currently a junior studying International Affairs with a concentration in Security Policy and a minor in Arabic Studies. The following classes are being offered in the Fall 2018 curriculum: Geopolitics, International Relations, and the Future of the Middle East, The Psychology of Peace, Beginning, Intermediate, or Advanced Modern Standard Arabic or Colloquial Jordanian Dialect (3 or 6 credits), and Research Methods and Ethics. The number of Arabic credits that a student elects to take determines whether the student takes the Psychology of Peace course. This brings me to the most important reason why I decided to pick SIT. Transfer credits. I can transfer Geopolitics, Research Methods, and (potentially) Arabic. Because Arabic at GW is 4 credits, I have opted to take the 6 credit Arabic course so that I don’t run into any complications when transferring credit back. The courses encourage interaction with local Jordanian citizens to some degree. I can tell that these interactions will be an invaluable portion of the program from what I have already experienced.

My program will be traveling throughout the United Arab Emirates in order to learn more about the history of the Emirates, the expat work force, and geo-economics and international business in the Gulf. Additionally, we will visit upwards of 10 historically/culturally significant sites throughout Central and Southern Jordan. Both of these visits are a part of SIT’s efforts to provide diversified immersive experiences for participants.

The homestay is believed to be the most integral part of the SIT experience. Within the first two weeks of being in Amman I have become a member of a local Jordanian family of Palestinian descent. I have shared meals with them, joined them for special occasions/gatherings, spoken with them in completely in Arabic (emphasis on completely), and experiencing Amman as they do daily.

Students have the opportunity to either create and conduct their own research projects or participate in an internship with a local community organization, research organization, business, or international NGO for a four-week period. I have decided to do an internship, but the location is still undetermined. Once I finalize my internship site, you all will be the first to know!

While in Amman, I plan to engage in a series of volunteer/research efforts that involve economic development (economic stimulation efforts) that will uncover or contribute to strategies aimed at bolstering Jordan’s economy. Although I don’t know the exact organization that I will be interning at, I know that the research I plan partake in will be a part of my internship. If I choose to further my research or volunteer work outside of my internship, I am more than able to explore these avenues. With my specified yet broad area of research, I believe that I will be able to comply an equal amount of qualitative and quantitative results.

All in all, I am excited for what the future holds for me and my research in Amman! I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and I look forward to writing next month! Until then, please enjoy these photos of the Queen Alia International Airport, the Roman Theater, the Amman Citadel, me on a camel, and me attending a traditional Jordanian/Greek/Syrian wedding (on my birthday – September 12th) which by far has been the highlight of my trip!

مع السلامة ولك حقا، (Good-bye and yours truly)
جوي كيودي (Joy Kayode)