Shanghai is…

Some things I've learned about Shanghai so far:
———
Life here can seem like one huge contradiction.
  1. Society runs at its own pace. Lateness is accepted and rather common in some facets of life. Nevertheless, public transit arrival and departure times are always right on the dot and I've never been to a more punctual, streamlined hospital than the one I go to in Shanghai.
  2. Bikes. Are. Everywhere. So much so that massive bicycle graveyards stretch on for miles and miles, piled up with broken bikes and overproduction, but at the same time, bike sharing is generally a very time efficient and cost effective way to travel around the city.
  3. City street cleaners work almost entirely by hand with a broom made of leaves and a shovel, which seems extremely unproductive and inefficient, but the majority of streets—even in less-populated areas—remain relatively clean.
  4. Traffic culture is chaos. Move it or lose it. On top of that, everyone honks at everyone for no apparent reason. However, there seem to be very few accidents—at least none that I've seen.
  5. There is absolutely zero rhyme or rhythm to the way people walk in the streets. You cannot get around anyone. I think people walk at about negative 0.5 mph, but when it comes to catching the bus or metro, everyone runs like they're being chased by a chainsaw murderer down a dark alley at 3am.
But hey … at least you know you've got something really good going on in your home away from home when the only things you truly miss from home are blue skies and fresh air.

———
Any time one lives and studies abroad, he or she is exposed to a new way of life, a new culture, a new society—a whole new world. I believe that Shanghai has taught me more than just adapting to a new lifestyle. Life here has taught me the value of balance and acceptance.
Throughout the semester, I have found it quite challenging to balance life in Shanghai—in an immensely divergent way from balancing life at GW. I would imagine many people assume unrealistic expectations of studying abroad—a life of nonstop fun, friends, and adventure—when in reality, the experience can be rather contradictory.
Personally, I DO dream of exploring something or someplace fun, fresh, and captivating every day because I am ~abroad~ and exposed to so many unique opportunities, but that little voice in the back of my mind must always remind me that school work and academics are just as essential to the experience as well. While it's always nice to have a fun time, I've found study abroad even more engaging when I can take something of significance away from every situation.
———
Moreover, in Shanghai, I've learned to accept the unknown and the "never meant to be known." I find that some things in China aren't really meant to be understood from a foreign perspective. There is no "answer" because that is just the way it is.
Along with that, I've learned to try to understand more than I want to be understood. Being patient and being a good listener has proved more important than attempting to force anything to happen my way in Shanghai. I reason this is partially due to the hefty language barrier, but also due to the aforementioned supposition of some things simply existing the way they do here. In order to better comprehend society in China, I have found it crucial to read social cues and human gestures. "Reading" people has become an essential skill for survival and a rewarding aid in remaining an active, aware, and informed global citizen.
If I wasn't a member of the Global Bachelor's Program at GW, I would have never thought to study abroad in China. Now that I am studying here, it's hard to imagine Shanghai not being an integral part of my study abroad experiences.
———
As I mentioned before, living in Shanghai (and China on a broader scope) feels as if I'm encapsulated by a completely new world in so many ways. Shanghai is so unique in its character, its people, architecture, and lifestyle, and has afforded me the opportunity to experience a piece of the Eastern world from an utterly new perspective. For me, Shanghai is a vision of the East that wholly embraces notions of futurism, while also harmonizing with its traditional past. Even then, similarities remain between this East and my home in the West, sometimes hidden, but nonetheless enduring, which continue to remind me how truly small our big, big world can be.
With only 8 weeks remaining, I still know this: I am human. I am American. I am woman. I am a global citizen and Shanghai is my home, just like Germany is home, D.C. is home, and my home city Louisville is home.
I strongly believe my adventures in Shanghai, and Asia for that matter, will continue long after my semester abroad has come to a close, for my love and appreciation that has grown for this city, this people, and this culture is perpetual.
———
善有善报 — Do well and have well.