Service Through Yoga: Sharing a Unifying Practice   

By Shannon Fitzpatrick

There is a certain level of comfort in the unknown. After a while of planning prior to leaving the country for a few months, the expectations and predictions about my new life began to fade away, and I allowed myself t be carried by the current. I have known for over a year now that I would be packing up and moving to China for almost five months, but until arriving here, I had no idea what to expect. Of course, I had tidbits of information that I had collected from others, from online, and from books, but only getting off the plane and into Shanghai allowed me to truly comprehend what my next few months would be like.

It’s now been almost two weeks since I’ve arrived, and I am confident in saying that coming to China has been one of my best decisions. Life here is much different from anywhere else in the world. The city’s friendly culture, bustling environment, and lively atmosphere contribute to Shanghai’s existence as a very modern hub that still maintains its traditional influence. I am learning to become an expert at navigating rush hour on a bike amongst cars, trucks, motor bikes, and people… lots of people.

In a city of 24.2 million people, I wondered if I would ever come across feeling overwhelmed and stranded in a sea of humans. However, I found this to be just the opposite. It is almost indescribable, but something about being surrounded by so many people who don’t even speak the same language as I do (I am taking Chinese this semester, so stay tuned) is surprisingly comforting. While each individual navigates the city streets with his or her own end destination in mind, we all share the commonality of being humans contributing to the functionality of one city. With this, while I may not know everyone around me, I know that we live amongst one another, each bringing our own individual flame to the fire.This idea is what has brought me to commit myself to exploring and serving a particular community within my neighborhood of Shanghai.

In the US, I have been practicing yoga for a few years now and it has become a significant aspect of my life. I have found my practice to be incredibly beneficial for my physical and mental wellbeing, as well as a great way to connect with others. I am very grateful to have discovered yoga as a means to share a common space and practice with individuals from all backgrounds. The universality of yoga allows for individuals of all walks of life to overcome any existing cultural, language, or other barriers, and share in a common experience. For someone like myself, many miles away from home and in a country whose language I do not speak, this is a definite up side.

A few nights ago, I was walking back to my apartment when a bright sign at the top of a building caught my eye. A few blocks from my apartment, I spotted a neon sign that read “V-Yoga”. In that moment, I was as happy as a seagull with a french fry- or should I say, a panda with bamboo. Anyways, I had been searching online unsuccessfully for local studios, and finally stumbled upon something. Since it was ten o'clock at night, I knew I couldn’t check it out in that moment, but was excited to stop by the next day.

So, following my discovery, I woke up the next morning to check out the building and see if I could find some more information. After asking someone to translate a sign for me, I headed up an elevator to the eighth floor of a building, where I met three incredibly friendly Chinese women. They all spoke very little English, and I speak close to no Chinese, but that didn’t stop us from having a great interaction. They patiently sat with me as I discussed with them an idea I had.

I offered to come in to the yoga studio during the week to help out around the studio, and teach them anything that I have picked up on from my yoga practice in the US. They were very interested in this, and their faces lit up when I told them I could help teach them English as well.  After we discussed, they told me that in return for my help, they would teach me what they have learned in China, as well as offer me the opportunity to practice in their studio. After some slow but delightful communication, they were thrilled at this idea, and welcomed me with open arms into their studio’s community. While we have all known each other for only a little while now, it has been incredibly comforting to have found the comfort of a small and welcoming yoga community in my own new back yard.

I am excited to share my knowledge and perspective with others in my community here, and hope to use my previous experiences to help others explore and expand their practices. I am so happy to witness how others can experience and benefit from the power of a practice that has helped me in so many ways. With gratitude, I am eager to continue this unique opportunity here in Shanghai.

Until next time, namaste.