Travelling in Europe – Berlin Edition

By Raman Mama

One of the best parts of being in a European location during your study abroad is that you have the opportunity to see other primary cities in Europe.

My first stop in London was to Berlin - Germany's Capitol.

Getting to Berlin was relatively easy. I booked my flights through a website called Ryan Air, which is a premier option for students looking to travel on the cheap. The flights were about 50 pounds of 60 dollars all together. Then, I booked my hostel for about 15 dollars a night. Altogether, I was able to book flights and accommodations for less than 100 dollars, which is a pretty great deal.

When I was in Berlin, the weather was not great, but that didn't stop me from seeing all that I could..

I went to the Berlin Wall, Berlinische Galeria, and a very popular bookstore called "Another Country" where they host film clubs and dinners. I loved the bookstore because it was founded by a woman from London who one day, decided to open a store so she could share her collection with other people. I grabbed two new reads for myself.

If you haven't had a chance to stay in a hostel yet, it's something I suggest. Though staying in a hostel can be uncomfortable if you're not the type of person who loves sleeping in rooms with other people, it is a phenomenal chance to meet other travelers. I met a woman from Hawai'i, who was traveling the world and taking photos, and I also met a French man who had lived all over (most recently Sydney) and was beginning to settle down in Berlin. Being a person who loves to hear other people's stories, I hung out with them, got food with them, and enjoyed the social opportunities I was given.

One of the most powerful moments of my trip was going to the Berlin Wall. This year, the Berlin wall has been down for about as long as it has been up. It was amazing to see one of the last vestiges of communism, and understand how much the world has changed since those days. The stories you can read about the wall are insane, but being able to be there in person is very humbling.

I really suggest going to Berlin if you're social and into history like I am.

Next on my list is Amsterdam.