On Being an American Abroad

By julesmatteson

It has been nearly two weeks since President Trump remarkably denounced those from “shithole countries,” publicly and unwittingly shutting the door to an entire continent. From the moment I heard these disgraceful words, I have struggled to put my own thoughts together. How did we get here? Is this really happening? As the nation’s chief diplomat, the level of ignorance is simply astonishing. But what is has disheartened me even more in recent days, a feeling that compelled me to write this post, is that we have almost forgotten. It is hard to say what to attribute this to, is the 24-hour news cycle? Maybe our shortened attention spans? Or possibly (and most disturbingly) are we simply used to this behavior from our commander-in-chief? As Anderson Cooper so thoughtfully reported in a segment reacting to Trumps remarks, he quoted author James Baldwin who said, “ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have.” The ignorance, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, and sexism that have always existed in this country on some level seem even more prevalent to me today, as they now hold a seat of power -creating justice’s most ferocious enemy.

As a student studying international development, these are issues that I look at every day. But they often feel far away. Far removed. We study these flaws in other nations, often without looking inward to dissect our own. It is only in recent months that I have almost felt a sense of shame to be an American, to judge others before judging ourselves. As I begin my semester abroad, in a place that Trump may also deem a “shithole country,” I am left wondering how I will become an ambassador of sorts for my country and my culture. How will I defend border walls, discrimination, climate change denial, and reckless diplomacy?

As hard as it may be to come to terms with this dark hour, I am hoping that the coming months bring me the clarity I need. Living in D.C. has brought me my fair share of cynicism, but as I travel I also hope to carry with me some of the successes that have also come out of this crazy year. It is movements like the Women’s March, the March for Science, the MeToo campaign, the TimesUp campaign, and the DefendDACA rallies that leave me with feelings of optimism. I plan to bring this with me as I try to make sense of what it means to be an American today.

Although answering for my country is only a small part of traveling abroad, it is something that I have given lots of thought to in recent weeks. Ecuador is a nation that has also had its fair share of turmoil throughout its long history. But I am ready and eager to learn from its rich culture and people and possibly draw parallels that I never thought were there. As Ken Roth from Human Rights Watch so eloquently states, “We diminish ourselves when we dismiss entire nations with an epithet rather than open ourselves to the positive examples they set.” Unlike our president, this semester I hope to actively listen. I hope to search out the stories of the incredible and diverse people of Ecuador. Although I am not yet sure the topic of my ISP (independent study project) for the last month of my program, I know I will be ready and open hear the examples that may be set for our own country and if anything else, open other people’s minds to the beauty that exists within developing countries. As the title of my program states, I am excited to learn about the development, politics, and languages that make up this amazing country.

Julia