Thanksgiving When Abroad

By AshleyLe

Truth be told, I didn't start celebrating Thanksgiving until I came to college, when a friend of mine invited me to his family for Thanksgiving break. Growing up in Vietnam, and even after I immigrated to the United States, I never knew why this holiday is important, aside from the lavish festivity of food.

This year, however, is different, in so many ways. Perhaps, it is because my host university organized an Israeli way of celebrating Thanksgiving, where the turkey and gravy mash potato were replaced by a fancy reception and a wild dance floor. Perhaps, it is because for the first time in my life, I felt as if I'm recognized and treated as an American, and thus the meaning of Thanksgiving just became so much more to me. And perhaps, it is because for the past two years, I have been spending it with my best friend, in the most traditional way possible, and thus the separation during the holiday season brings forth a feeling of emptiness and incomplete.

Spending Thanksgiving, or any other major holiday, abroad can be challenging. While the saying "home is where the heart is" could be said in these situations, it is nevertheless still difficult for foreign students to enjoy the atmosphere when they have yet to find home. And given that celebrating Thanksgiving is an "American thing", the challenge of finding home during this holiday becomes less realistic.

But in the end, Thanksgiving is all about reflections and giving thanks. It's the chance for us to pause and look back at what we have done in order to be reminded that we are capable to do so much more. It's about being thankful for what have been given to us, so that we will use our blessings in giving back to others. It's about realizing the most important things in our lives, and vow to continue holding on to what makes us better and stronger everyday.

So, as an American student studying abroad in Jerusalem, I'm thankful:

• For new friends who have made my time away from home feels more like home
  • For old friends who always remind me of who I am and that home will always be there to welcome me back
  • For the opportunity of participating in higher international education
  • For the encouragement to see things like I've never seen before
  • For the inspiration to always explore and discover new stories
  • For the challenge of staying faithful even in hardships
  • For the reassurance that I will never have to overcome obstacles alone, even if I wanted to
  • For the Office of Study Abroad and the Office of Financial Assistance at GW
  • For the Office of Study Abroad and the Office of Financial Assistance at Hebrew University's Rothberg International School

In short, Thanksgiving is the chance for us to see who we have become, and those that made our journeys possible.