Art de Vivre à la Française

By paigebradford

Art de vivre à la Française translates to the “French art of living” and is somewhat seen as a celebration of living in the present moment in French society. The expression was coined by the French and refers to a unique set of characteristics which surround the French way of living. The French desire for fine living has touched almost every aspect of human life, whether its fashion, sport, gastronomy, conversation, and leisure the French have their ways.

One major aspect I have learned in my studies of French society is how the quality of life in France is equal to, and arguable better than that of any other country in the world. The housing, food, health care, educational system and their general state of well-being are evident for the great majority of the French. Sure, there are undeniable challenges and flaws France must face as it moves ahead in the world, but that’s not what this post is about, this post is about how the art of living in France is unique and has a difficult time being replicated elsewhere in the world.

One of my main preconceptions before arriving in France was how French people are known for having a laid-back attitude towards daily life. The 35-hour work week, five weeks of paid vacation and another two weeks of paid holidays may add to the French’s easy going life style, but whatever the cause I particularly saw this trait in the way French people eat meals and dine out. There is convivial nature surrounding meal times in France, for most workers get long lunch breaks giving them enough time to come home and have a sit-down meal with their family. From the sit down meals I have had with my host family the average amount of time spend sitting at the table just eating and talking is around an hour and a half.

At home, it would be a rare occurrence if my family spent more than an hour at the dinner table, for our busy schedules did not always permit us to stay at the table long enough to engage in lengthy conversations. Similarly, whenever I go out to dinner with friends at a French restaurant the waiter almost makes a point in waiting to clear our table. Whereas in America there is always this feeling of being rushed out when the waiter is practically standing ready to clear the table the moment everyone is finished eating. In France, the waiters rarely come up to your table unless they are called upon first, for they know that most French people are looking to spend an average of two hours eating and drinking when they dine out.

Another key attribute to the French art de vivre is their contribution to the arts, with its many different types of architecture, schools of art, art galleries, and even fashion lines. The French’s interest and ranking in these fields foster a sense of French exceptionalism, for where else in the world does a museum hold as many artistic masterpieces as the Louvre or boasts such an elite art institution like the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts. Not to mention the number of events commemorating the arts in France does not cease to amaze me, for during the European Heritage days in the middle of September around 17,000 monuments and museums opened their doors to the public in France. Although all the Smithsonian museums in DC are free to the public there isn’t a day in America that resembles The European Heritage Days.

A lesson I have learned during my time abroad is how a deep understanding of the local culture is always the key tool to adapt and make an easy transition into a new society. Due to my experiences growing up abroad in Dhahran Saudi Arabia for most my life I am familiar with this cultural ability, and believe it has helped me interpret conventional norms and social behaviors in different society’s thus avoiding cultural faux-pas and hurtful misunderstandings. Furthermore, I hope to incorporate a little bit of the French art de vivre in my daily life once I return to DC, when I can learn to live more in the moment and get less caught up on what will happen in the future.