5 Fun Things to do in London When You’re on a Budget

By austineliasdejesus

When I got here, everyone--from other students to advisors to professors--told me that London is an expensive city. Turns out, they're absolutely right. So far I've lived in D.C. and New York City, and London is by far the most expensive place I've lived. But London does have some great hidden gems, though, you just have to look a little bit harder and be more willing to accept the fact that we're all still college kids, and it's probably not yet our time to go around spending money like we're 30-somethings.

1. 5£ Groundlings tickets at The Globe 

We've all heard about Shakespeare's Globe, so I'm not going to explain it any further. But it is worth mentioning that Globe tickets are actually pretty cheap if you're willing to stand the entire time. These are called groundlings tickets and they're definitely worth it for their cheap price. Yes, you'll be standing for the entire show which is actually pretty long. And, yes, you run the risk of getting rained on and you're not allowed to open your umbrella. But it is still a once in a lifetime experience, and, speaking from experience, you actually feel like you've really experienced the Globe after your feet and back are sore because you've stood in place for 3 hours and you're kind of cold because the heavens opened up and you got rained on for about 20 minutes. That just made this sound very unappealing, but I mean it. Get the groundlings tickets.

2. Go to your school's hangouts

I can't speak for other unis, but UCL has their own pubs and coffee shops. A lot of these are lively and full of other students almost every day and night. Also, beverages tend to be a lot cheaper here, and a lot of them host student performers who are actually pretty good. If you and your friends are looking for a place to go on a Wednesday or Thursday night, try going to one of these places. Also, who knows, you  might even make a new friend or two by hanging around.

3. Cheap Weekday West End Tickets 

Unlike New York City, you can actually get pretty cheap musical/theater tickets during weekdays. Most shows have 17.50£ tickets available during the week, and the seats actually aren't that bad. I saw An American in Paris two weeks ago and I was warned online that my view would be obstructed by a guard rail, but when my friend and I went it turned out that this really wasn't the case at all. Also, the theaters typically aren't packed on nights earlier on in the week, so if you ask a theatre attendant, you can most likely move to a seat that isn't occupied around your row to get a bit of a better view.

4. "Cheap" Movie Theater Tickets

If you factor in the conversion rate, these movie tickets aren't that cheap, but relative to other theaters in London, they're a steal. Odeon Cinema in Camden has 7£ tickets available for a wide number of shows on any given night, so if your friends are looking for something to do on a slow Thursday night, heading up to Odeon is never a bad option. There are also a ton of cheaper dining options in Camden, so if you're all looking for a cheaper dinner beforehand, you'll be in the right place.

5. Rough Trade London 

If you're into music but don't want to pay door fees, head over to one of London's three Rough Trade branches and check out a free show after you browse the vinyl. There are some Rough Trades in America, but London's branches are really impressive. Each show I've been to so far has been great, and that's not only because it's free.

Also, as I mentioned in a previous blog post: TAKE THE BUS EVERYWHERE YOU GO IT'S SO MUCH CHEAPER THAN THE TUBE.