Yalla! ياللا

As-salamu alaykum (وَعَلَيْكُم السَّلَام, peace be upon you) from Morocco! Life is great. This blog has been a slow process, as my days have been full of cultural orientation, intensive classes, family time and exploring my new city with some bright people.

Who

My name is Calla, although (everyone here pronounces it K-eye-lah). Macharfeen (nice to meet you!).  I am a senior, studying International Affairs and Religion at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Hailing from a small farm town in Ohio, I often explain my major as the study of diplomacy, focusing on conflict resolution. In my field of study, it is very important to acquire experience abroad.

What

I have jumped across the Atlantic to study in Rabat, Morocco! This blog will be a chronicle of my experience in North Africa. Through the School for International Training (SIT), I am studying in the heart of Old Rabat. My mornings are filled with Arabic and Darija (Moroccan dialect) classes, and in the afternoon I am being instructed in research methods and ethics as well as studying migration and global transnational identities.

When

I will be living in Morocco for a few months, studying. For a month and a half, I will engage deeply in independent research and present a thesis. I am currently in the process of arranging an internship as well. I’ll be back to Northwest Ohio by Christmas!

Where

Before I left home, I called my bank to let them know that I would be leaving the country, to prevent any freezing of my bank account for use of my card in a foreign country. There was great confusion of the part of the attendant, who was surprised to learn that Morocco was indeed NOT in the US, but was located in Africa. She called back to ask me how to spell it…

Morocco is the Western-most country in the north corner of the continent of Africa. In Arabic, the name is Maghreb, which translates to sunset. The sun sets last on this country over the Atlantic. That means Moroccans are the last to pray in the evening, and during Ramadan, are the last to break their fast, as the call to prayer follows the sun.

Why

So why Morocco?

Language - Learning Arabic has been a longtime goal of mine. In Morocco, I am able to study and practice Arabic. Until my Arabic is stronger, I am able to navigate communication using French, which I have studied for two years. Morocco was colonized by the French, and all Moroccans study French in school.

Religion – The Moroccan population is 99.1% Muslim. My desire to understand Islam not only in academic theory, but as a lived religion has drawn me to Morocco as a Muslim-majority culture. Jewish and Christian minorities also practice their faith in Morocco, and I look forward to visiting their spaces of worship.

Morocco also takes great pride in being an exemplar of moderated Islam, training Imams within the country, and even exporting training programs and state-trained Imams to other African countries. I really look forward to exploring this in my research.

Global Context - I have been drawn to the Middle East for its rich culture and particular importance in current global events. Currently, migration is a pivotal issue for Moroccans. In terms of Emigration, leaving Morocco for the promise of European opportunity is a very popular trope. Conversely, Morocco is an attractive destination for both Syrian refugees and sub-Saharan migrants to seek safety. I am really looking forward to studying these important issues further!

Of course, I am only a visitor here for a short while, and my observations and opinions will surely reflect that.  I aim to listen and share. Morocco and it's people have won my heart, and I am excited to share that with you.

Yalla! (ياللا Let’s get going!)