Liberté, égalité, fraternité

By paigebradford

Translated to English as “liberty, equality, fraternity,” is the national motto of France, and can be spotted on top of government buildings, national monuments, schools, and sometimes on the doors of local artisan stores. However, just recently I found the phrase in a new environment. When protestors took to the streets last week against President Emmanuel Macron’s plans to make the country’s staunch labour laws more flexible for employers, there was a day of strikes and demonstrations where people were seen hoisting up banners and signs reading “liberté, égalité, fraternité”. Although the protests in Reims weren’t as tumultuous as the ones in Paris, bus lines stopped running, and a few Sciences Po professors commuting from Paris were unable to make it to class.

What I have learned so far during my time in France, is how this triangle of core values is able to summon emotions of pride and solidarity even in a society growing increasingly diverse both culturally and politically. It reminds people of how they have a right to demand that their voices be heard whether it be in favor or against the establishment. In class discussions and casual conversations with my classmates, I find that the general consensus towards Macrons new labour regulations are positive. Most argue the reforms will bring France’s labour model closer to the German and the UK model, and will help tackle France’s high unemployment rate which is currently around 9.5%. On the other end of the spectrum people believe the reforms will make it easier for businesses to fire employees for arbitrary reasons, and will overall reduce the rights of employees both individually and collectively.

Coming into this study abroad experience I was only relatively familiar with contemporary French politics. All I really knew was how pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron received the majority of votes against far right opponent Marine Le Pen, and promised to unite a divided and broken France. To my surprise just in the first three weeks of my time spent in Reims, I have learned more about French politics than I have in my whole academic career. After hearing the opinions of numerous professors, classmates and article pieces I have been able to foster an opinion towards French politics. I think President Emmanuel Macron’s labour reforms have a chance of upholding France’s mission of representing universal values and lowering inequality. As one of my professors put it in my “Why France Matters” class, companies need flexible working conditions to increase foreign investment and create the greatest number of new jobs.

I look forward to following the outcome of these reforms as they make their way through Parliament, and I hope to see honest change within France’s workforce in the months and years to come.