April Updates

By ZoNaseef

I am continuing to volunteer at the Improv Theater in Copenhagen. The volunteering is always shifting depending on what they need me to do but overall it remains consistent. I photograph the shows, as well as helping to set them up and break them down. Since it is an English speaking theater I do not face many language barriers. It is a very laid back and easy going space so overall it has been going really well.

I am proud of a show that I planned, hosted, and MCed at the theater. Usually the improv shows have fixed ticket prices but this was a stand-up show that we allowed people to pay what they wanted. We then gave half of the money to the theater and the other half we donated to planned parenthood.

I think this work has become more relevant because due to current events many people around the world have turned to comedy. The shows often get somewhat political and it is a great space for people to rewind and have a good laugh after a hard day. I think people are paying more attention to comedians because they are able to be more brash and upfront than journalists.

This is an honesty that many people are looking for. I am not sure if there will be any lasting effects of this work but it feels good to be apart of cheering people up and to have become so close with a space that I really enjoy being in. I have been involved with the theater since September and it has become my home while I have been living abroad. It will be very sad to say goodbye in a couple more weeks.