What’s next

By amberherrle

I am excited to finally announce that I received a grant from the Elliott School to study Arabic in Amman this Summer. This means that while I will be leaving this May, I will be back in Amman soon enough! I cannot wait to be back and studying Arabic here again.

I haven't been doing much since I started my research (other than research) BUT I am happy to also announce that I will be turning my ISP in a few days early. I am really happy about this because I have worked on this project since February.  Finishing the project early means that I will have a few extra days to relax because flying back to the states. So here's my advice for SIT students, I wish my program had placed a larger emphasis on planning and timing out our ISP, as many of my friends are in crunch time right now.

For those that don't know - a big part of SIT programs is the individual study project which is field research that is presented in a 30-40 page paper and in class seminar-presentation. It's a lot of work but a really great experience!

January: BEFORE (yes, crazy town, I know) you come on your program, have a clear idea of the general topic you want to research. So if you want to research radicalization in Jordan, do your research on theories of radicalization before you come here so you have some framework and context of your research.

February: meet with every expert you can. I reached out to experts through formal channels like LinkedIn and university databases. But I also reached out to people through informal channels (this is a lot more effective in Jordan than it is in the US). I looked authors up on Facebook and cold-called them with my idea. The experts I've met with have been invaluable for my research.

In every meeting you have with an expert, you should always ask - is there anyone you think I should connect with? Connect with that person. Make the connections that will help you put together the best research proposal possible.

March: literature review. Writing my literature review was the toughest part of this project but your literature review gives you the context and background you need to move forward with your project. In March, your program will have you prepare your research proposal which includes your interview questions, advisor and all the technical "stuff" that goes along with your project. When your research proposal assignment is assigned, start writing. Give your proposal the time it deserves: this is the base of your research!

In March, your proposal will be submitted to an internal review board in country and they will provide feedback on your topic. This process takes about a week.

It's April! You made it to the final month - no classes and few other responsibilities. BUT you do have a 40 page research paper due at the end of the month. Aim to finish your interviews by the end of the second week, then write your methodology directly after. And wala, at week two you are already half-way through!

Okay, you get my point. Planning is vital to the success of your research project. ISP is a great time to learn about new aspects of the country you are studying abroad in and to learn about how doing research works in the country. Wish me luck on my final week of research!