Old Dreams, New Adventures

By rsengupta18

Reena 1/31-1

What Brought Me Here:

Study Abroad is something that I’ve always seen as a necessity, rather than an option. My allegiance to this experience was evident as early as high school when I narrowed down which colleges to apply to based on which administrations had the most support for study abroad.

After years of fantasizing about this experience, I’ve made it to in Paris, France through the IES Business and International Affairs program. I have always been attracted to French culture and language. I started studying French seriously in Middle School and completed a cultural exchange in Marseille when I was sixteen. My time in Marseille was a magical bildungsroman moment. In those two weeks, I discovered who I wanted to be, and what I wanted to do with my life. I realized I was an adventurous, extroverted spirit, that I reveled in challenge, and that I found fulfillment in culture. Don’t you just love that word? Culture. In summary, I realized there was more out there in the world for me. I knew my time in France wasn’t done. From the moment I left France in 2013, I knew I’d be back in Paris in a few years for study abroad.

Reena 1/31-2

Reena 1/31-3

What I’m Doing Here:

Since high school, my career track and life goals have further streamlined. I am passionate about sustainable development, human rights, and international law. I chose this specific program because the courses they offered align with my interests. My classes this semester include Emerging Markets in Developing Economies, Green Growth & Sustainability, and Paris Today: Politics, Policies, and People. Additionally, I knew that not many GW students chose this program, and I wanted an experience where I knew no one coming in.

While I’m in Paris I plan to explore their conservation efforts (which are already impressing me after two weeks), their response to the Syrian refugee crisis (which are already disappointing me after two weeks), and to gain a better understanding of the general culture and its historic roots. I originally wanted to volunteer with resettling refugees in Paris, but after researching potential programs with the staff at IES, we came to the conclusion that none of the existing programs in Paris are safe enough for me to commit to. I continue to look for volunteer opportunities in Paris, but they will most likely be more related to everyday French culture, such as tutoring kids in English.

Reena 1/31-4

My Research Questions:

In addition to volunteering, I will complete the following research questions:

1. A compare and contrast of environmental cognizance between the United States and France.
  2. An analysis of French culture, apparent trends in intercultural exchanges, and how that relates to the refugee crisis.

I am so elated to be here, and I have a lot of thoughts going on, so stay tuned for experiences, cultural analysis, and some self-discovery.

Reena 1/31-5