The End, but Not Really

By camilacarrera10

The last subject I wrote about was the challenges many countries would face now that Donald Trump is our President Elect. Developing countries especially will have a unique battle ahead as Mr. Trump has made it quite clear that his sole focus is on “Making America Great Again”. Despite this upsetting news my friends, family, and colleagues came together to fight for a great cause. Our fundraiser was very successful and the money we raised will go a long way for the refugees. The money that each individual donated will make all the difference in the life of a refugee who wants to pursue his education or even just make it another day with food on the table.

While I am proud we raised money I am even more proud of the fact that we brought something new to the table. P.A.R.I had never before held a fundraiser, which is pretty astounding considering it is a non-profit organization. P.A.R.I has always relied on private donors or the church to support its mission. While this is great, P.A.R.I is really straining to reach as many refugees as possible. By using contacts from the community, it is surprising to see how many people will come together under a great cause (even in a country that frowns upon homosexuality). Then again, compassion is something Senegal has in spades.

I have always been an advocate about volunteering and giving back to my community because it really creates character in a person. Not only that, it is one of the most basic needs for intercultural acceptance. It is also such a unique way to exchange intelligence. I have learned more about endurance, ambition, and persistence from talking to locals and immigrants than from anything taught to me at school. This is what study abroad is about: learning and experiencing life in ways that would not be accessible at home. With six days left of my stay here I am sad to be leaving a place I have grown to love. Senegal has been a trip of a lifetime and I plan to bring back the values of kindness, hospitality, adventure, family, friendship that make up Senegalese culture. I want to continue my work with refugees in DC and have applied to various internships that will allow me to do so. Realizing we are all human and that gender, sexual orientation, religious orientation, and color of our skin does not make a person better nor worse than another is the key for a more cohesive world.