Reflecting on Switzerland

By jkichton

This week’s blog post will be dedicated to my current thoughts on Switzerland. As I have now been here for a little more than two months, I definitely have a new perspective on it. I have been to Geneva, Bern, Zurich, and Basel; all of the major cities in Switzerland who all have their own idiosyncratic personalities. Additionally, I have written a ten page research paper on xenophobia in Switzerland which has also changed my views. So, this blog will serve as a reflection thus far.

Going into my study abroad program, I really had no idea what to think of Switzerland. I picked my program because 1) it was focused on international affairs and 2) it was located in an area that spoke French. I had no opinion whatsoever on Switzerland and didn’t even really think that much about Switzerland, except for its neutrality and secretive banking, before coming. After reading up on it, I figured that the society would be a little conservative, predominantly white, and pretty wealthy (comparatively). I also was told it was progressive…but not really in what sense. I really went in with the littlest of expectations.

Well, I guess I’ll start with the good. First of all, Switzerland is BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely gorgeous. Anywhere you go during any season in Switzerland will be amazing so there’s not really a ‘good’ time to go. I think it may be the most, if not one of, beautiful country. The hiking, the mountains, the lakes, the hills, the grape vines, the farms, everything! It is truly just all the beautiful, nature stereotypes of Europe put into one country. Secondly, Switzerland is easy. I did not have a lot of culture shock coming here, and on a day-to-day it is fairly simple to get around and communicate with people. Lots of people speak English, not just in Geneva, and also people speak German and French so you can choose which language you want to communicate in. Thirdly, I feel safe in Switzerland. This may just be me, but generally when I am traveling within Switzerland I am not worried about my wellbeing whatsoever. Fourth, the Swiss really value their land, in regards to their environment. They are very green, recycling is mandatory (this includes recycling paper, plastic, and composting), and have a true civic duty to keep their lovely and historic ecosystem clean. Lastly, I guess I just feel at home. Switzerland is so humble. I guess my host mom has had a lot to do with this but I feel like I’ve been living here for years!

Now to the bad…Switzerland is xenophobic, even though its population is almost 25% foreigners. Throughout my research, I have seen that there is just an underlying, and largely subconscious, opinion that foreigners are to be looked down upon. This sentiment is much less apparent in Geneva because Geneva is made up of 40% foreigners. It is more apparent in the German and Italian speaking parts to the north and west. This xenophobia has been manifest in different ways. You will often hear people complaining about how migrants to this country only come to ‘play the system’ by gaining welfare but not working. Additionally, migrants are seen as robbers, stealers, and as generally people who pose a risk to the Swiss way of life. The Swiss culture and tradition is usually put at stake when discussing the role of migrants. This attitude was popularly used to create the recent Mass Immigration ban which put quotas on immigration. This is an issue because it is in opposition to the European Union’s free movement of people agreement. Although Switzerland is not part of the EU, it has several free trade agreements with it and this new ban will have to be deliberated about. Additionally, there was a banning of minarets in Switzerland in 2014 which was seen internationally as extremely islamophobic. Lastly, women did not even get the right to vote until 1972!

I don’t know which city is my favorite….I think Basel is the most interesting because of all of the museums it has. Bern is the prettiest. Zurich is the ‘hip’-est. Geneva is the best for working and networking due to all of the international organizations that are based in it. My final thoughts would be that I really enjoy Switzerland, and I think it is an amazing country, but I would not want to live there.