Putting the "Study" in "Study Abroad"

By zoegoldstein23

Since I was busy taking my midterm exams this past week, I thought it would be an appropriate time to discuss the school aspect of studying abroad, which is something important that I surprisingly haven’t touched on much yet. In the GW Madrid program, we take classes at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM), which is about a forty-five minute commute from the center of the city (about thirty-five minutes from where I live). What’s unique about the GW Madrid program is that we take classes specifically with GW Madrid students, rather than regular university classes. This aspect of the program allows us to have very small class sizes and ample time to establish relationships with our professors and gain a more individualized understanding of the material we need to learn. Also, if a student desires to do so, he or she can enroll in classes directly through the university (UAM) and take courses alongside native Spanish students. The GW Madrid program also offers a few courses in English, too, such as International Economics and Comparative Politics of Western Europe.

I opted to take all GW Madrid classes and not enroll directly in a UAM class, but I made sure all of my classes were in Spanish so I could get the full immersion experience. It’s safe to say I’ve never quite had a classroom experience like the ones I’ve had in Madrid thus far. The largest class is have is seven people and the smallest is three, so like I said earlier, professors give you very individualized attention. I’ve had a few professors who have even asked us to give him or her suggestions on what we would like to focus on in the class, whether it be grammar, a specific type of literature, speaking, etc. For my History major at GW, I have to write a senior thesis that includes an original contribution to the academic world and uses primary sources. I decided I wanted to learn more about modern Spanish history and see if I could find something worth writing my thesis on, so I have begun working with a history professor at UAM to help me with research, archives, and other general knowledge. The professors are extremely approachable and they all want their American students to do well and to become accustomed to the culture. I even have a professor who will give us food tips, recommendations for places to go out at night, and advice on how to navigate Spanish culture in general. I’m lucky to have so many adults around me who want me to do well here. I am learning academically, but even more so, I am learning culturally and spiritually, which is something that one can only really say about an experience studying in a foreign country.

This week was quite the shock, since most of us here forgot that we were actually here to study, not just “vacation” in a new country. But after a long week of midterms, the GW Madrid program took us on an excursion to Galicia, a northern province of Spain, for two nights. It was easily the best trip I’ve been on thus far in my study abroad experience. I knew next to nothing about the region but what I found there was nature, beauty, and a rich history. Today, on our way back to Madrid, we stopped at a park called Las Médulas, which consists of old ruins where the Romans used to mine for gold centuries ago. Some of the trees in the park were over a thousand years old. We got to explore caves, hike, and see breathtaking views from the top of the mountain. No matter where I go in Spain, this country continues to amaze me.

I’m looking forward to a bit more of a relaxing week now that midterms are over. I have some very fun trips planned that I can’t wait to write about soon. Until next time!