Luck.

I write this blog post on a high speed train headed from Paris to Brussels. The seats are completely pink or red velvet (with no discerning pattern) and I happen to be sitting in a four-seater which includes a table! I am also lucky because no one is sitting across from me and I can monopolize the available leg room. Muwhaha! However, literally 20 minutes ago while waiting for this train in Paris Nord Station, a bird pooped on my suitcase. I was inside too! Of all of the times I have been in huge train/bus stations where pigeons take safe haven during the winter and go to find a tasty snack, here, today, I was finally pooped on.

The last time I was pooped on by a bird was in the summer of 8th grade. I was at the beach with my best friend (showing off my new two-piece bathing suit), and walking along the ocean when a bird made just the right geometrical and angular calculations to hit me on the shoulder. Anyway, I was super annoyed when it happened today, but one of my good friends here just told me to count it as a blessing. “It probably means that we’re going to have a great time this week! Think of it as a sign of good luck for the future!” And so far, as stated earlier, I did get a good seat with extra leg room and a table. [EDIT 7 HOURS LATER: I also got a free Belgian waffle with Belgian Chocolate and sugar on it!]

Today (9/20) is the start of our “study trip” in Brussels and Paris. We will be in Brussels today through Wednesday (9/23) and then go to Paris and stay there the rest of the week. We return next Sunday (9/27). Travelling through the European countryside has been beautiful. There are farms with old barns made of stone, cows adorned with bells, and fields upon fields of fruits and vegetables all aligned in perfect rows. We will arrive at 3:45pm and then check into the hotel. I’m really excited for that because hey, who doesn’t like staying in a nice hotel? Goals for tonight include getting a Belgium waffle for dessert and getting some Belgian chocolate for fun! [EDIT 7 HOURS LATER: Check and check!] Apparently everything is much cheaper in Brussels than Geneva, but well, Geneva is crazy expensive so that isn’t saying much.

We have several engaging trips planned for this week. Monday we travel to the European Union to discuss trade policy. Thursday we go to both the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development and United Nations Education, Science, and Culture Organization for briefings. Lastly on Friday, I will be interviewing the UNESCO Director for the Executive Office for Education! This is part of my final research paper here which is called the Independent Study Project. It is a research paper consisting of at least 30 pages of writing and 5 in-person interviews with professionals. I will be interviewing him about the effect of women’s education in Pakistan on Pakistan’s overall economic, political, and social growth.

Yesterday I took a cable car up Mont Salève, a mountain right on the border of Geneva in France. It was pretty intimidating walking up to the big metal box that would transport me from the ground to the top of a mountain, and I didn’t know if I was going to freak out because I am only a little afraid of heights. They packed us in like a can of sardines and then we were off! It seemed like it took forever…and my mind was racing about every way something could go wrong. But after the five minute ride, we arrived. The view was breathtaking! You could see all of Geneva and the local towns that we all lived in such as Coppet and Nyon. Lac Léman was in full sight and looked to pristine. After taking in the view, we tried to find a hiking trail to get to another view, however it started raining! And then… hailing! So there we were, walking up an incline that in the dark, stinging rain. We regretted our decision to hike…especially when we thought that the hill wasn’t going to be that steep. After 15 minutes of sitting in the rain, though, the sun came out and not one rainbow, but two, formed around the mountain! It was so worth it, and again, I was so lucky!