Reaching a Level of Uncomfortable

By sturtle7

When ever I talked to someone about study abroad the always mentioned reaching a level of uncomfortable that you somehow become comfortable with.
Going abroad to China this summer, I learned a great deal about who I was and reached a level of content with my past mistakes. Istanbul was an adventure into the future, self-reliance and learning where I could see myself.

For three months, I have found victories in the little things like finally getting my Turkish residency permit, and stumbled over the complications like bureaucracy or being unable to communicate.
I started the semester rooted in the community I had made at home and this hasn't changed. However, I see the differences in myself: I can navigate the city alone, spend time with myself and balance time with my community abroad. At GW, life is often about how busy you are while here it's about finding peace without the hustle and bustle.
In the world of social media, I know I'll be able to stay connected with the friends I've made abroad but I'll miss the experiences we shared: getting lost in the city, venting about frustrations with the lack of efficiency or plethora of red tape. Of it all, I'll miss the walks to bebek, the beauty of the Bosphorus and the level of comfort I was able to achieve with friends I have just come to know.
I go home in less than a month and the feeling is bittersweet. But I know this won't be my last time in Istanbul or the last time seeing these familiar faces.