Learning and Living in Italy

By taylorclark17

I’ve only been in Florence for two weeks, but immersing into this new culture is going so well that I feel as though I have been in Italy much longer. I have already discovered a panini café that I have been frequenting with friends and as of yesterday, I can officially say I have tasted gelato at Florence’s infamous Piazza del Mercato Centrale (Central Market)! It may however take me a little bit longer to improve my navigation skills considering that I can’t even count the amount of times I have gotten lost, walked in circles, and even got on the wrong bus while trying to make it back to my host home. Thank goodness for Google Maps! Yet, in spite of my directional challenges, the sights I have seen and information I have learned about the religious and politically history of Italy this past week were incredible.

This week, I began taking classes at SUF (Syracuse University in Florence). My courses include Sex, Politics, and Religion in Italian Literature, Comedy in Italy From Ancient to Modern Times, Mediterranean Food and Culture and Italian II. Although initially I was nervous about adjusting to academic life in another country, I find much of what I am doing here for my classes is similar to my first week of classes at GW such as downloading course packs off of blackboard and waiting in long lines at the bookstore. The topics I am currently studying in my courses are extremely interesting. For example, in my Sex, Politics, and Religion in Italian Literature class, we have been analyzing Dante Alighieri’s Inferno and discussing what the author is perhaps arguing about the theory of religion versus what the author is arguing about Christianity specifically.

This look into the prominence of Christianity in Italian culture was useful knowledge for the highlight of my week; my field trip to Assisi! Located about 2 hours south of Florence, Assisi may be one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited! Its most famous landmark, The Basilica of St. Francis was constructed in 1228 and features paintings done by Giotto di Bondone, an Italian painter from the 13th century whose work is said to have been studied by and possibly influenced Michelangelo. Also in Assisi, I visited the Cathedral of San Rufino and Basilica di Santa Chiara, both of which were also constructed in the 1200s.

Overall, the past two weeks have been quite the whirlwind, but I have enjoyed every second! Can’t wait to see what’s in store next!