Lost in translation

By sturtle7

Hello! Welcome to my first blog! My name is Sherin Nassar, a junior majoring in International Affairs and Economics! This semester I am studying abroad in Istanbul, Turkey! I am so excited for this journey because I firmly believe it will lead me to a greater understand on myself.

This blog post revolves around identity-how we each view ourselves and how in return people see us. This past year, I've learned my identity changes with each challenge I take on. I see myself as ambitious, always wanting to take on more to see how I can further develop. These ambitions are firmly rooted in my parents' immigrant background. They come over twenty five years ago from Egypt in search of the American dream. Their pursuits and passions as well as their hard work are ingrained into who I am today: someone not only looking to make them proud but to make people believe that the future is truly yours for the taking.

My background is also firmly rooted in my religion as a Muslim and as a hijabi. Growing up, it was a source of confusion, something hard to grasp. I came from a diverse neighborhood but where there were very few Muslims. I didn't like to talk about my Egyptian background or religions But as a I began to develop who I am, it became a source of pride. As a hijabi, I continuously look to keep my muslim values close but try everyday to change the rhetoric surrounding American Muslims in America. I see this generation of Muslims as capable of being true change makers in the world. If anything, college has exposed me to incredible Arab Americans making a difference every day.

Traveling abroad has shown me how accepting people can be to differences they are exposed to. During this past winter break, I visited Nicaragua on a GW Alternative Breaks trip. Although the community had never seen a hijab before, they were so welcoming and wanted to talk to me about why I chose to wear it and learn about my differences. The same could be said when I spent five weeks teaching English in a rural village in China this past summer. Not once did I feel uncomfortable. People from all different spectrums find themselves wanting to learn about things they are not exposed to and human interactions help give a friendly rhetoric to these differences.

Studying abroad in Istanbul will be an adventure I look to fully explore. As a secular Muslim country, it will be quite different than what I am use to but it will only prepare me to further take on what life has to offer. Join me on this adventure with my blog!