The Lost GoPro

By gopro camera

One day, I decided to wear the GoPro on my head to record my friend and my self surfing on a local beach. While paddling through waves crashed down of me, I held on to the GoPro tight. We soon passed the waves and swam a football field out in the open water. And as we passed through a second break with waves topping eight-feet above my head, the most beautiful sunset I had seen that semester illuminated pink, purple, and orange over the Gold Coast’s Skyline, the waves, and our boards. Of course, I saved every moment with my GoPro.

Once back on shore, my friend said “Hey, Jesse give me the GoPro, we’ll record the waves crashing into us as we stand in front them.”

Hesitantly I responded, “Okay fine. Just make to wrap the head strap tightly around your wrist.”

“Yeah man, of course.”

Five minutes later, I saw him holding my “GoPro with just two fingers as waves crashed in. Two minutes later I saw his two fingers but no GoPro and then him running his hands frantically through the water. We ended up searching for my GoPro in the light-less waves for an hour without any luck. My eyes soon began to water.

He could replace the GoPro but not the memories that it contained. That GoPro not only contained footage of the sunset but also the only footage of a camping trip I went on the previous trip, which was one of my life’s favorite adventures. The next day, I went scuba diving with nine-foot manta rays, six-foot sharks, squid, spanish dancers, and a variety of fish. I was unable to capture the moment without the GoPro.

I was pissed. Not so much at him for carelessly holding another person’s GoPro over the ocean, but more at myself for letting him do something so foolish. I now had no tangible memory of my most prized memories of the semester.

My friend soon realized that his GoPro, which was broken, was still on warranty. We went in to exchange his GoPro for a new one, which he would then give to me. However since the store didn’t have the model I had purchased, it let us exchange the GoPro for the newest model.

I was then able to use this new GoPro to record my trip to New Zealand and filmed everything in top-notch quality. This was lucky, because my lost GoPro was starting to deteriorate after so much use, and its filming quality was beginning to get worse and worse. My New Zealand footage and all other future footage would not have been and will not be as nearly as good as the footage that was filmed with the new GoPro.

And my friend would never had thought to check the warranty on his GoPro if he hand’t lost mine, so he would not have had a working GoPro either way.

So despite my initial sadness, it all kinda worked out in the end.

My previous blog posts have discussed my identity and how my identity effects my future. I chose this story, because it reminds me if times get rough, good times will always be around the corner. And they end up coming around, I plan on recording it with a GoPro.