"The Africa Trip"

By kcampbell94

“The Africa Trip”

Typhoid pills, malaria pills, anti-diarrheal pills, Novalog, Lantus, needles, and test strips. Flipping through my seven prescriptions, the pharmacist said, “Do you think you could postpone your trip? You know, with everything that’s going on in the world right now?” That was the last thing my mother needed to hear. The “trip” is in reference to my studying abroad this semester through SIT’s Rwanda: Post Genocide and Peace Building. Ever since my mom had called me in March and said, “I googled Africa, and it’s dangerous, honey. I think you need to pick somewhere else,” my mom had deemed my upcoming semester, “The Africa Trip”, which makes me think of a fifth grade field trip to the art museum. From getting accepted into the program alongside my friend, Kelsey (with whom I also went to high school) to submitting endless paperwork and battling with many a fax machine to handling the range of reactions I’ve gotten when asked, “Where are you studying abroad?”, I can’t believe the journey it’s been and I haven’t even gone anywhere. Many of those reactions were similar to the pharmacist’s. My uncle had shaken his head and told me there was no reason for me to go to a place like that. Friends have laughed and said, “Classic Kara”. The cashier at Party City, who had somehow gotten into a conversation with my sister about where I was going, told her to do everything possible to dissuade me. Everyone seems to have an opinion: relatives, parents, friends, cashiers, relators, the hairdresser. What many people don’t understand is that Rwanda is a country that is so much more than what happened twenty years ago, and Africa is so much more than a generalized continent, a horror story on the news, which is precisely why I am studying there. I know I will learn more in this semester than I could ever expect. I know that this may be one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, especially as a fairly recently diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic (i.e. Novalog, Lantus, needles, and test strips). I also know I will miss eating Chipotle more than I may miss some people. Most importantly, I know I have never been more excited for anything in my entire life. With my departure about two weeks away, I have been thinking a lot of my expectations, fears, anxieties, for which I have compiled 5 lists, each with 5 things.

5 Of The Most Common Reactions I Have Gotten When I Tell People Where I Am Studying:

1. “Don’t get Ebola."
2. “Where is Rwanda?”
3. “Have you seen Hotel Rwanda?”
4. “Why?”
5. “My best friend’s cousin’s ex-daughter-in-law has a neighbor who has been there.”

5 Things From The U.S. I Anticipate I Will Miss:

1. Chipotle
2. One of my dogs
3. Friends and Family (of course)
4. Thanksgiving
5. Nutella

5 Things From The U.S. I Anticipate I Will NOT Miss:

1. Being on my phone
2. The other dog
3. The first cold days of November
4. Taking Chemistry
5. The revolving Gelman Library doors that always give me anxiety

5 Things I Am Most Anxious About:

1. Diabetes problems
2. Mastering the art of bucket showering
3. Coming off as an ignorant American (even worse, an ignorant New Jersey-ian)
4. My directional skills (or lack thereof)
5. The long plane ride

5 Things I Am Most Excited For:

1. Living with my homestay family
2. The research component of my program
3. Being immersed in the culture
4. Being present
5. Meeting both people in Rwanda and the people in my program