Things I Love About Paris

By anishag22

Friday marked the end of my trip to Paris, and it was also my last visit to the City of Lights for this semester. I feel so lucky to have been able to spend a weekend plus a whole other week in Paris thus far. Leaving Paris, I felt like I had gained a good grasp of what the city is about. I can find my way on the Paris metro, know the best and most picturesque times to visit the Eiffel, and I now know a bit about the French lifestyle. Paris has truly captured my heart, so I've decided to list a few reasons why.

1. Picnicking on the Seine. It's free, it's fabulous and during spring it is absolutely gorgeous. There is nothing better than taking your crepe or sandwich down to the river's edge and letting your feet dangle over the ledge as you take in the stunning views of Paris.

2. Paris's museums are to die for. The city is home to some of the best and most famous artwork in the world. On my most recent visit, I went to the Van Gogh special exhibit at the Orsay, and it was truly awe-inspiring to see so many of Van Gogh's pieces together in one room. My favorite thing to do is stand close to the painting from the side, because you can actually see how thick the paint has been applied. You would never know that just by seeing the painting in a textbook!

3. The history. From Saint Chapelle to Notre Dame, Paris is home to some of the oldest and most beautiful architecture in the world. The almost 1,000-year-old Saint Chapelle is a testament to ornate Gothic architecture, with stained glass windows that tell the story of the Bible from creation onwards. As I gazed up at these windows, I was struck by how much time and effort must have gone into preparing every single individual stained glass scene by hand.

4. The shopping! And I don't mean just Champs Elysse. The shopping that I enjoy the most in Paris is on little side streets and neighborhoods off the beaten path, like Montmarte (The stunning views from Sacre Coure don't hurt either!).

Up next for me is Venice, Florence, Rome, Prague and finally Vienna, so stay tuned for more from my travels!

Until next time -

Xx, Anisha