The Clash Between Culture and Politics, Part I

By msotomayor12

For some reason, I’ve found myself in the middle of political discussions this week. As a Political Communications major, I don’t hate it. My political science class has become a continuous discussion of “What would the US be like if it was a parliamentary system” and vice versa. I’ve found myself comparing laws, ways of life, and political movements with many professors. And as an aspiring reporter, I’ve keeping myself busy following the news.

Learning about political movements in Spain has been a refreshing experience. Since I am just learning about Spanish politics, I don’t have any preconceived notions that could spur an immediate opinion or cloud my judgment when I hear about an issue. In this sense, I feel like a kid whose totally absorbed by their favorite book: I want to keep learning more, I feel excited doing it, and I can build my own understanding of what it all means. There are so many differences in Spanish politics and media that I hope to explain many of my insights in a sequence of future blog posts.

To understand Spanish politics, it is important to know the role that regional culture plays in it. Spain is split up into Andalusia, Basque Country, Catalonia, Galicia, the Canary Islands, Asturias, and the mainland. Citizens of these regions are so prideful, that they are likely to identify themselves based on their cultural region before identifying themselves as Spaniards. The division between the country’s identity is astounding, especially in the eye’s of an American.

Some regional interests are so strong that it threatens the unity of Spain. Basque Country and Catalonia have both been trying to gain autonomy. Most recently, Catalonia, which has its own parliamentary system, proposed another referendum seeking its independence. These areas are interested in providing for themselves economically and politically. However, they will be unable to thrive since the U.N. has already announced it would not recognize any region that separates itself from Spain.

These clashes between interests are what many believe is making Spanish parliament inefficient, among other issues of course. While American politicians do try and represent their own districts, it would be more difficult for Congress to function if politicians bonded together by region. It would affect political party structure and ultimately, the public opinion. So as messy as American politics could get, there’s at least something to be thankful for.