What’s The “Manners?”

By msotomayor12

One of my favorite—and under-appreciated ways of entertainment is people watching. Maybe it’s my journalistic tendency to observe minute details, but I often find myself studying mannerisms and expressions. However, since I've been in Madrid, the tables have turned. Madrileños are just as keen in their observance of others. While Americans may interpret these stares as “being checked out,” Madrileños are just curious people who lack the understanding of personal space. They do not mind pushing you aside if you are in their way or sitting right next to you on a park bench. They are also unafraid of teaching foreigners a lesson.

The most obvious is with their food. Good manners are learned at the table. The first rule is to always keep hands visible. This should not be too difficult since Spanish people cut almost all their food with silverware, including sandwiches, pizza, and fruit. Wine and beer is not a means of loosing up at the table, rather it is a precisely chosen accompaniment to the meal. Yet the golden rule in Spanish cuisine is to always eat jamon with your hands. It is a delicacy that is shared in social settings, so being casual is appropriately accepted.

The Spanish culture thrives on its social environment. From teenagers to the elderly, Madrileños look forward to meeting up with their friends on a regular basis. Cervecerias are the perfect place to do this. Unlike a restaurant, customers stand around a table to share tapas, drinks, and stories. Similar to a bar setting, it gives people the opportunity to meet and mix with others easily. Since they value social enjoyment, Madrileños do not mind moving to another table if it will accommodate another party. As one of my friends said, if a waiter at an American restaurant asked a family to move to another table after being seated, the restaurant would “probably get a bad Yelp review."

They are also very entertaining people. One of my favorite memories thus far is eating lunch with my house mother and her friends. Whether it’s the Spanish language or just their personality, Madrileños express joy and content when they speak to each other. Serious conversations are not for the table or large gatherings. Rather, it’s a time to celebrate and enjoy the beauty of having valuable friendships. When I witnessed their expressions, I saw my own family members interacting. I felt at home.