Goodbye Zanzibar

By fdecristofaro

While abroad, my research included a wide variety of subjects, from behavioral studies of the endemic Red Colobus monkey to sea urchin biomass. My main focus for my Independent Study project was the water quality of small rivers located near a sugar cane plantation and processing factory. The project was not as easy as I expected it to be, I ran into many roadblocks from all sources. The factory was difficult to get in contact with, collection of samples took longer than expected, lab analysis was slow moving, but with patience and excellent advisors I was able to make connections with assistant managers, local drivers to take me to sites, and peers to help with the chemical analysis of the water samples. This project made me grow a lot as a student and researcher because I was testing my limits. Coming from an International Affairs background I was not used to data collection, nutrient analysis, and quantitative science. Zanzibar was such a place that even though my science background was limited individuals encouraged me to challenge myself and I gained a deep respect and understanding for hard science as I practiced it. The goal of my project was to get the ball rolling for the Mahonda town where the sugar cane is processed. I hope that students in the future will continue my study and make it more comprehensive. This will continue the research into the effects of the plantation and factory on the local community and environment. In this way my project has begun to help increase communication between the inhabitants of Mahonda and the industries located there. At this point I do not think any other type of study abroad program could have been better for me. Experiential learning and hands on work made my knowledge of the people and environment of Zanzibar much deeper. My semester with SIT (the School for International Training) was incredible and I hope to keep being curious and willing to get my hands dirty when I return to the States. My interest in water sheds and the roles of local communities is heightened and I foresee this type of volunteer work and research playing a large role in my future. My commitment to community, although increased by the huge volunteer community at The George Washington University, is heightened and I will bring back my renewed enthusiasm and passion for giving back to the GW community by encouraging others to get involved by sharing my stories.